The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm actively searching for a new amp to add to my amp collection. I currently own an ENGL Morse and a Mesa Mark V and as awesome as they are, I love having different styles of amps to play with to achieve different styles and characters in my playing. I'm a high gain player, ranging from 80's metal classics & shred to more modern metal style like technical death metal, death/thrash, ect. I'm hoping to have another amp that can achieve those styles of tones while bringing a different flavour to the table. I recently sold my Bogner Twin Jet KT88, and I want to fill it's void with something else. A few amps on my hitlist include

ENGL Savage 120
ENGL Special Edition e660
Mezzabarba Skill 30w
VHT Ultra Lead
Fryette Sig X

Curious to know if anyone has owned one or more of the amps in my list. I'd like to hear your overall impression and maybe compare it to other amps you've played.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I’ve never owned the amps on your list , did try the savage120. It was a great hair metal amp from what I remember. Very hifi sounding.... Only spent 20 mins with it.

Not on the list but I’d suggest trying out a Diezel Herbert if you can.
Great amp for the styles you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve never owned the amps on your list , did try the savage120. It was a great hair metal amp from what I remember. Very hifi sounding.... Only spent 20 mins with it.

Not on the list but I’d suggest trying out a Diezel Herbert if you can.
Great amp for the styles you want.
I had the opportunity to play a VH4, was very disappointed with the "mushyness" and midrange of ch3 and 4. Seems it would tighten up with a boost for sure, but I just didn't really like the voicing at all and it turned me off from Diezel. I would give the Herbert a try, seems to be their best amp imo.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I had the opportunity to play a VH4, was very disappointed with the "mushyness" and midrange of ch3 and 4. Seems it would tighten up with a boost for sure, but I just didn't really like the voicing at all and it turned me off from Diezel. I would give the Herbert a try, seems to be their best amp imo.
I think the Herbert is the one that appeals to the most people. It also has the midcut feature to pull off thrash.

I have not heard exactly what you describe in the VH4. Mine is super tight.
There can be a lot of low mids, that can be overbearing.
Some guys swear by a stomp eq in the loop.

All the Diezels have this ‘wall of sound’ thing going on that is most noticeable when you play chords.
Some people really like it, some don’t.

I fall in the like it column.
Most other amps sound anemic now.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Honestly a 5153 may be the ticket. There is a reason 5150's are beloved by the metal community. Put in KT77's and have at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the Herbert is the one that appeals to the most people. It also has the midcut feature to pull off thrash.

I have not heard exactly what you describe in the VH4. Mine is super tight.
There can be a lot of low mids, that can be overbearing.
Some guys swear by a stomp eq in the loop.

All the Diezels have this ‘wall of sound’ thing going on that is most noticeable when you play chords.
Some people really like it, some don’t.

I fall in the like it column.
Most other amps sound anemic now.
When I got to test drive the amp I played it through a Friedman 412 and was unimpressed with the power amp sag and definition. Perhaps the VH4 I was able to test out was not matched with the right cab, maybe it had bad tubes.... Maybe I just don't like Diezel? lol

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm actively searching for a new amp
I'm not looking for suggestions
Then you've come to the wrong place.
If all you wanted to do was post a status update then you could have done so on facebook or Twitter.
This is a guitar forum.
If you say you are looking for a new amp you are going to get suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts