The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, My Name is Patrick Ryan, I am from Debert Nova Scotia (Small area) and I have been bitting at the bit to learn guitar for many years and just took it up a few months ago. So I'm NEWBE, Be kind to me :).

My taste in music go's from Country, Rock, and the best and what I strive for in my playing is BLUES. I love the sound of John Lee Hooker, BB King, Muddy, Mississippi John Hurt and any and all Delta Blue's. Modern blues of up and coming artist Ruthie Foster and others are also my style and taste.

I love talking to folks and watching folks play the blues as I have ADHD, and find it hard to learn/retain unless I am continually watching, Visual player I be . LOL

If anyone is from the Halifax Nova Scotia or Truro areas and love to work with me to help my practice I would love it.

I currently have a Seagull S6 made by Godin in Qc, Love it. I am currently looking for a Good Blues guitar, May be a Epiphone Elitist Sheraton, or Brodway, maybe even the ES335, not sure which would have the closest sound to a Gibson ES335, Any Idea's Guys, or if you have one feel free to email me.

Any how, CHAT SOON.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Welcome to the forum, Patrick. Newbie or veteran, all are welcome. Please join in on the fun.:wave:
Will Do, I'm glad to see a Canadian Guitar form, make's it homie, if ya know what I mean, and yes I will be in the forms, asking, chatting and requesting :)

P.S. I was looking at the Epiphone Elitist Sheraton or Brodway ? the Sheraton has Mini Humbuckers, whats the Diff over Full size, will the sound be higher or not as rich and deep as an full size ?? Im looking to get a true Blues tone and sound, similar to a Gibson ES335, with out the 2k bagage. LOL.

Thanks
http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/images/smilies/Jimi.gif
sdsre

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Welcome aboard. If you are looking for a ES335 bluesy type tone then I would recommend checking out the Epiphone Dot (335). They are pretty inexpensive and sound great. I picked up an old used one on eBay for really cheap then swapped the pick-ups (for Seymour Duncan 59's) and electronics (CTS pots etc...). When it was all said and done, it cost me around $450 and I now have myself a fantastic sounding 335. Way better than paying $2000 - especially since I only play for fun.

Having said that, from what I hear the new Epi Dot sounds really good out of the box.

Good luck in your quest for tone....it never ends....

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
Welcome aboard. If you are looking for a ES335 bluesy type tone then I would recommend checking out the Epiphone Dot (335). They are pretty inexpensive and sound great. I picked up an old used one on eBay for really cheap then swapped the pick-ups (for Seymour Duncan 59's) and electronics (CTS pots etc...). When it was all said and done, it cost me around $450 and I now have myself a fantastic sounding 335. Way better than paying $2000 - especially since I only play for fun.

Having said that, from what I hear the new Epi Dot sounds really good out of the box.

Good luck in your quest for tone....it never ends....
Hi Patrick:

Welcome to forum. Great to have another blues fan on board...especially someone who likes 335's. I have liked that model for many years and have had several copies by several different manufacturers (2 were stole from my house on the same day...never recovered). At present I have a Greco 335 copy (Japanese) from 1981. I also bought several various Seymour Duncan pickups (many used) to try in the 335. Heven't tried all of them as yet. It is all part of my tone quest. Also, the bluse tone(s) that I have been chasing seem to change as time goes on.

All of Stratin2traynor's advice is excellent, in my opinion. You might also want to look for a used 335 copy or post a "Want to Buy (WTB)" ad in this forum to see what might be available.

Being such a blues enthusiast, I managed to go to the Mississippi delta area twice and toured the Gibson factory (in Memphis) to see the 335's being built.

I can't play all that well, but I enjoy the noises I make and other players are nice enough to put up with me.

BTW...what amp are you using?

See you in the forum.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amp

Hi Patrick:

Welcome to forum. Great to have another blues fan on board...especially someone who likes 335's. I have liked that model for many years and have had several copies by several different manufacturers (2 were stole from my house on the same day...never recovered). At present I have a Greco 335 copy (Japanese) from 1981. I also bought several various Seymour Duncan pickups (many used) to try in the 335. Heven't tried all of them as yet. It is all part of my tone quest. Also, the bluse tone(s) that I have been chasing seem to change as time goes on.

All of Stratin2traynor's advice is excellent, in my opinion. You might also want to look for a used 335 copy or post a "Want to Buy (WTB)" ad in this forum to see what might be available.

Being such a blues enthusiast, I managed to go to the Mississippi delta area twice and toured the Gibson factory (in Memphis) to see the 335's being built.

I can't play all that well, but I enjoy the noises I make and other players are nice enough to put up with me.

BTW...what amp are you using?

See you in the forum.

Dave
Dave, thanks for the kind words of Welcome, and I'm a newbie player and untill I get my Used or New ES335 Gibson or ALIKE, I will be waiting on an AMP, not sure what one, but I was at Music Stop in Halifax and was plugged into one that was freakin sweet, when I find out what it was I will post it.

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
I get my Used or New ES335 Gibson or ALIKE

one that was freakin sweet, when I find out what it was I will post it.
Have you priced used or new Gibson 335's lately? They are equal to a second mortgage !!

I'll bet that "or ALIKE" will seem LIKE a much better option.
The last time I played a "real" Gibson 335 (new) I wasn't that blown away (for $3600.00 CDN plus tax = $4100.00 CDN)

Looking forward to finding out which amp impressed you.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Till recently I hadn't realized how much a good amp can affect the sound. I've had a Carvin Belair (all tube 50 watt) for a couple weeks and I'm absolutely blown away by it's sound. I'd been using a Line 6 and now it sounds like a toy to me! I have among many others a Tokai 335 copy (newer Chinese made, one not the sought after older Japanese ones) that plays and sounds very nice (greco can confirm as he's played it!) for the smallest fraction of what a Gibby 335 costs. My suggestion for anyone playing blues is you get the best sound from a tube amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, will have a look

Thanks, I will have a look, but after reviewing the 335 Gibson price's like WOW, so just might look for an epiphone Elitest, see if I can get one of those puppies :). Or a nice older Japanese made 335 :)

Patrick

Have a look at this link:
http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=8725

A good example of some VERY nice used gear (up for trade only).

335 style guitar is listed. Sometimes items up for trade will be offered for sale at a later date....all depends.

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
Thanks, I will have a look, but after reviewing the 335 Gibson price's like WOW, so just might look for an epiphone Elitest, see if I can get one of those puppies :). Or a nice older Japanese made 335 :)

Patrick
Many of the older Japanese guitars are rising in value....just to warn you. Epiphone has a variety of 335 styles to choose from... Ibanez and Washburn also have some.

Some of the dealers advertising in this forum might be able to help you and might give you a discount as you are a forum member....just a thought.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Yes thats a thought, Hey local dealers, anyone have a nice epipone Elitest 335 Dot or Sheriton, they like to sell me cheap, as a Form member :) I live in Debert Nova Scotia and would love some direct response's if ya can, or If ya have a used one, please let me know anyone.

Email me back [email protected]

And P.S. CanadianGuitarForms ROCK. About time :).

Many of the older Japanese guitars are rising in value....just to warn you. Epiphone has a variety of 335 styles to choose from... Ibanez and Washburn also have some.

Some of the dealers advertising in this forum might be able to help you and might give you a discount as you are a forum member....just a thought.

Dave

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Another option is a Hagstrum Viking reissue (about $600). I saw Colin James playing one on stage and he sounded great.

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
Yes thats a thought, Hey local dealers, anyone have a nice epipone Elitest 335 Dot or Sheriton, they like to sell me cheap, as a Form member :) I live in Debert Nova Scotia and would love some direct response's if ya can, or If ya have a used one, please let me know anyone.

Email me back [email protected]

And P.S. CanadianGuitarForms ROCK. About time :).
NinjaMaster

You misunderstood me. You need to click on one of the dealers ads (when the ads show up on your screen as part of the forum...often at the top under the forum logo).... OR check out the dealers thread..... OR put an "Want to Buy" request in the buy/sell area of the forum.

This thread has links to various dealers:

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=1506

Try this also:

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts