The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from Richmond Hill, ON, newbie questions here

Hello there, didn't even know there was a Canadian Guitar forum till google return this as the first hit. I have no prior guitar experience and I want to know what the best way to start:

1) Buy an electric guitar and practice on my own
2) Take some lessons to see if like playing guitar

What do you guys think, should I go for 1 or 2? Does anyone know a good place where I can purchase Guitars in Richmond Hill or online, someone sent me the following web site:
www.musiciansfriend.com

not sure if it's reputable among guitar folks. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum !!

Do you have any friends that play guitar?...that is often a good way to get introduced to what is involved, gear, etc.

Practicing on your own is essential...but playing along with (and learning from others) is much more fun..and often much more productive.

Buying gear is always difficult when you are starting.

Do you have certain amount that you have decided on that can put towards a guitar and amp?

Have you been looking around in music stores and trying various models of guitars and amps etc.?

Do certain styles/colours of guitars (specifically)appeal to you?

What type of music appeals to you the most? (....that might influence the amp and guitar you choose.)

I would never hesitate to buy used gear (if someone who knows this stuff would help you) as there are many great deals to be had. Have a look at some of the fantastic gear that is available through this forum.

Taking lessons is always a good idea...but I'd wait for a bit and see what others suggest. You might want to try just getting to know how to play some basic chords and some strumming patterns first.

Tell us more (re: the above questions) and folks here will give you all sorts of guidance.

Good Luck ....you have many hours of enjoyment ahead of you if you learn to play.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any friends that play guitar?...that is often a good way to get introduced to what is involved, gear, etc.
Not in Richmond Hill, the guitar people I know are spread out in different parts of Canada.

Do you have certain amount that you have decided on that can put towards a guitar and amp?
At first I was allocating a budget of $200 including taxes but I'm willing to stretch it to $400 if need be.

Have you been looking around in music stores and trying various models of guitars and amps etc.?
Right now, I'm just doing some research so that I have some kind of idea what to look for at the store.

Do certain styles/colours of guitars (specifically)appeal to you?
I'm currently looking into the purchase of a solidbody guitar. I know little about guitars and from what I've researched an ideal one will be the red Gibson SG or a Gibson Les Paul, I believe those are like the Porsche of cars.

What type of music appeals to you the most? (....that might influence the amp and guitar you choose.)
I'm into Eric Clapton, Santana, The Who, mostly 70s and 80s rock music. I do like some modern rock too like Franz Ferdinand, Green Day and the likes.

Taking lessons is always a good idea...but I'd wait for a bit and see what others suggest. You might want to try just getting to know how to play some basic chords and some strumming patterns first.
If I were to get a guitar in my hands right now, I wouldn't know where to start. That's why I wanted to take some hands on lessons first to get an idea where to start.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Thanks for the responses to the questions.

Assuming that your budgeted amount is for a guitar and amp together ($400.00) than you will have to really do some searching. It can be done..but I think that the quality will have to suffer a bit if you if you want to get both items for that total.

Go to the music stores...see them for real !! Talk to the sales staff. Hold a few guitars of different sizes/styles/weights. Get the sales staff to demo some amps for you. Don't let them push you into some sort of beginner's "pak". Take your time.

Good that you know that you like the SG and Les Paul (LP) style. These styles (copies) are avaiable from many, many suppliers (both new and used). The actual Gibson brand is VERY expensive (even used, it would likely cost you about $600.00 minimum for the cheapest line of Gibson.

Seems like you like types of guitars with humbucker pickups . Get the sales staff at the store to show you the difference between humbucker and single coil pickups. Maybe you will prefer single coil sounds once you have heard them.

Epiphone is owned by Gibson and they make a cheaper line of guitars (including Les Paul styles). I have an Epiphone LP and I really like it.

You have a wide range of music that you enjoy. If you wanted to play "metal" than you might want to look at other specific styles of guitars/pickups. I can't help you with this (i.e. metal) as I'm mainly a blues fan.

Keep the thread going. Others will hopefully chime in.
(HINT HINT...Where are you folks? ) LOL

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello there, didn't even know there was a Canadian Guitar forum till google return this as the first hit. I have no prior guitar experience and I want to know what the best way to start:

1) Buy an electric guitar and practice on my own
2) Take some lessons to see if like playing guitar

What do you guys think, should I go for 1 or 2? Does anyone know a good place where I can purchase Guitars in Richmond Hill or online, someone sent me the following web site:
www.musiciansfriend.com

not sure if it's reputable among guitar folks. Any help will be appreciated.
If you want knowledgable people.. Go to "The Arts Music Store" in Newmarket on Eagle St. If you want something closer with very little in the way of knowledgeable help, go to Cosmo music on the east side of Yonge just south of 16th ave. Newbies should avoid L&M at all cost. IMHO...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts