The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This seems like a great place to get acquainted with.
Not many newfies on here but I'll try to fix that. Me and Emohawk are friends and from the same town and hopefully I'll gather some more to bring to the group...hell, we Newfies know how to drink and have a good time ;)

So, right now I am mostly intrested in amps...alsways been a passion of mine, BUT, I am on a serious search for a shredder guitar but haven't had much luck...especially with the money being low right now.

Anyways, I hope to be involved with this message board as much as I can!

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
I hate to be all sensitive about it, but can we avoid using the word "newfie"? It is a self-deprecating term attributed to an uneducated, life-loving, hard-drinking, pogie-collecting islander used amongst our "own kind" and not intended for a bunch of "come-from-aways" to use liberally.

You wouldn't call a black person a "nigg**" to their face, would you? Even though, unfortunately, they use it within their own community, it is still a dichotomy of social protocol.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
WarrenG said:
I hate to be all sensitive about it, but can we avoid using the word "newfie"? It is a self-deprecating term attributed to an uneducated, life-loving, hard-drinking, pogie-collecting islander used amongst our "own kind" and not intended for a bunch of "come-from-aways" to use liberally.

You wouldn't call a black person a "nigg**" to their face, would you? Even though, unfortunately, they use it within their own community, it is still a dichotomy of social protocol.
umm...way to be a douche.

Welcome to the forums, Dave the newfie. Have you looked at a used ibanez as a shredder guitar. I got an RG470 for $380.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
WarrenG said:

Funny, thats not what my mind conjurs up when I hear the term.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WarrenG said:

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one, bud.
I don't see the term "newfie" that way so I guess you are the one attributing connotations to the title. No biggy, we're all here to talk gear not make social commentaries on the casual use of "slang" in describing one's own "stomping grounds".
And, btw, if I didn't get my pogie cheque, how on earth would I be able to afford my Bogner? lol
Rock on everyone...rock it "newfie" style! lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts