The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just stumbled upon this forum while searching for some answers concerning selling a Les Paul 25th Anniversary guitar. 1978. I don't play and no one in my family plays so I'd like to sell it. It belonged to my husband and he took meticulous care of it. Has all the paper work and aside from a small impression on the front ( which I'm told is not a huge problem ) it's in Excellent condition with the original case. Sounded awesome on the rare occasion when my husband took it out.
Anyway, my question is what is the best way to go about selling a guitar? Are there reputable web sites that would list? Would it be better to drop it off to a music store to be sold on consignment? Last appraisal was done in 2015 for 3500.00
I'm thinking it needs to be out and about making music. Any helpful advice or direction would be appreciated.

L

·
0 Posts
Would it be better to drop it off to a music store to be sold on consignment?
Last appraisal was done in 2015 for 3500.00
This would be your best choice.
Bring the appraisal (or copy) with you to protect yourself from getting talked down of it's value.

·
Premium Member
8,532 Posts
Couple of places you can check out if you want to try consigning:

Stang Guitars, Stang Guitars | Shop Edmonton’s Best Guitar, Amp and FX Store Online | Stang Guitars 9939-76 Ave. Impressive place, impressive people, they will treat you right BUT their consignment rate is higher than most, I was quoted 25% The tradeoff is that you will get the most exposure here, they have a big clientele, many of whom deal in higher end items, and their website is superior to the other options. Tyler Stang is the owner, there was a web article/interview published in the past couple days about him and his store, read here: Shop Spotlight: Stang Guitars in Edmonton

Acoustic Music Shop Acoustic Music Shop Edmonton 9934-82 Ave. They've been around forever, have friendly staff. I don't know their rate.

Innovations Music (1 location St Albert, 1 location Calgary Trail S), they just took an instrument off me on consignment, 20%, which is more or less the standard. I prefer the people at the Calgary Trail location, personally. Their website sucks but the stores are nice.

You could advertise it on kijiji for no charge Kijiji Canada of course you have to sign up , you can put up to 10 pictures in the ad and I would recommend doing so. Just be aware some long distance people might contact you that may or may not be legit, deal locally and for cash if you do this way. DON'T allow any 'agents' to come get it and pay you with a draft, that's an old scam and the draft ends up bouncing. Again, local, cash only.

ebay.com and reverb.com are the 2 big online sites for listing music gear. Of course, then you have to deal with shipping, and paying commissions, and taking some form of online payment.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
If you are considering consignment, I say check out The Acoustic Music Shop or Stang Guitars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple of places you can check out if you want to try consigning:

Stang Guitars, Stang Guitars | Shop Edmonton’s Best Guitar, Amp and FX Store Online | Stang Guitars 9939-76 Ave. Impressive place, impressive people, they will treat you right BUT their consignment rate is higher than most, I was quoted 25% The tradeoff is that you will get the most exposure here, they have a big clientele, many of whom deal in higher end items, and their website is superior to the other options. Tyler Stang is the owner, there was a web article/interview published in the past couple days about him and his store, read here: Shop Spotlight: Stang Guitars in Edmonton

Acoustic Music Shop Acoustic Music Shop Edmonton 9934-82 Ave. They've been around forever, have friendly staff. I don't know their rate.

Innovations Music (1 location St Albert, 1 location Calgary Trail S), they just took an instrument off me on consignment, 20%, which is more or less the standard. I prefer the people at the Calgary Trail location, personally. Their website sucks but the stores are nice.

You could advertise it on kijiji for no charge Kijiji Canada of course you have to sign up , you can put up to 10 pictures in the ad and I would recommend doing so. Just be aware some long distance people might contact you that may or may not be legit, deal locally and for cash if you do this way. DON'T allow any 'agents' to come get it and pay you with a draft, that's an old scam and the draft ends up bouncing. Again, local, cash only.

ebay.com and reverb.com are the 2 big online sites for listing music gear. Of course, then you have to deal with shipping, and paying commissions, and taking some form of online payment.
Thank you Keto for all that info. I've heard nothing but good things about Stang, so will call them tomorrow to make arrangements for an appraisal. I don't want to deal with shipping as it weighs a ton. I wouldn't rule out Kijiji. My sons boss might be interested which would be nice. I guess finding out what it's worth from Stangs is my first step. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Hmm, if I had the cash to buy it I would drive up there to look at it.
I love those guitars.
And depending on condition $3500 is a fair price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts