The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings troops.
Expat Canuck here who just got tired of scraping windshields and shovelling snow. Worked abroad for a bit then moved to Thailand. Sitting here watching the palm trees sway in the tropical breeze and thought to myself, self, you need a new hobby so at the tender age of 57 decided to learn to play. Picked up a really cheap Yamaha and started banging away on that and having too much fun while pissing off the neighbors.
Still in my infancy but was offered a basically new Epiphone 335 dot for about 300cad so snapped that up and stashed it away, it will be my reward for actually learning to play something!
I will beg your forgiveness in advance for the undoubtably truly stupid question I will ask in the near future but fortunatly I am too old to care!
Ok, really, thanks in advance folks and look forward to picking guitar brains quite larger than mine.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I think about moving to Thailand Every time there are kids screaming at the bathroom door. I will happily answer any questions I can as love as you don't mind I'm daydreaming about Thailand while I poop. Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: cboutilier

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I agree, learning at 57.....you're just an infant. Some of us were older than that.

Welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your welcomes bros.
Usually get in an hours practice most days having a couple of brews waiting for the wife to get home from work.
Sit out on the front porch and practice my chords and fingering.
Learner rig is a Yamaha eg112. Basic but decent and cheap unit. One problem I am having is with the output jack. If I move too much it crackles through the amp, kinda like a poor connection.
Amp is also a basic Yamaha 15 amp.
And yes, I promise no weather reports in January.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Thanks for your welcomes bros.
Usually get in an hours practice most days having a couple of brews waiting for the wife to get home from work.
Sit out on the front porch and practice my chords and fingering.
Learner rig is a Yamaha eg112. Basic but decent and cheap unit. One problem I am having is with the output jack. If I move too much it crackles through the amp, kinda like a poor connection.
Amp is also a basic Yamaha 15 amp.
And yes, I promise no weather reports in January.
Output jack may just need tightening. It also may need to be resoldered. Easy task if you've ever used a soldering iron before. Easy project to learn to solder too.

A cheap Yamaha can be a great guitar. I've had an RGX121S since 02 and it's been bulletproof.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sawasdee khrap, greetings from a somewhat colder island :rolleyes:

Spent a few years on Samui years ago, when it was still a very quiet place. Last time I was there I got lost between Maenam and Chaweng. It has changed quite a bit! Enjoy the people and climate, I'm jealous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts