The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Have you ever heard of Solar Guitars; do you understand what goes into selling a guitar world-wide?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kinda.

• and of course, Solar who?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Ash grows in our area. When I was little I used to watch my grandmothers cousin pound Black Ash into strips and then made these amazing baskets. I thought they were little works of art when I was knee high.
It’s very nice to meet everyone.
My name is Brian. My father was Ojibwe (rip) and my mother is a non-native from the United States. I grew up and still reside on a Rez. The name of our Rez was originally derived by attaching the city name close to us to the English word for our band, Chippewa. We are uniquely situated within the borders of the city of Sarnia itself. So dubbed, Chippewas of Sarnia.
We formally changed our name to Aamjiwnaang First Nation about a decade or so ago (I’m probably way off lol) or close to that . Took me forever to learn how to say it.
My goal is to start a company. I want to start an electric guitar company that will fill a much needed niche. I actually would not even call it an niche it more like a necessity. More to follow... (to be cont..)
For now I’m looking for a good Luther School in Ontario. So if anyone knows of one.
The problem I have looking for a school is, I have to find school that offers their course all at one time. The school in the Toronto area had his classes like a couple hours one a week or something like that. So that’s my problem if anyone know a fix.
I often wonder if it’s a better idea to start a school seeing I’m sitting right on the American border so we could attract both countries. The Blue Water Bridged in our city was twinned! I have access to the incentives because native people really really need to build an economy and the gov recognizes that.
But anyway didn’t know I would be this windy lol and talk/type so much and it really is nice to see everyone with similar interests.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing I thought when reading back my post was that I still had no idea what Black Ash had to do with anything lol.
Well the short answer is, it doesn’t (have anything to do with anything). I started writing, I was thinking about woodworking and as my mind drifted back to my childhood I found myself zombie typing. When I woke-up some nonsense about banging on trees to make shopping bags or something was written down. Not sure how I’ve learned such a uniquely profound talent lol

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Welcome aboard Brian
We formally changed our name to Aamjiwnaang First Nation about a decade or so ago (I’m probably way off lol) or close to that . Took me forever to learn how to say it.
I'm having the damnedest time trying to roll that word over my tongue. Since it took you 10yrs, I don't feel so bad. lol
What's the meaning, if I may ask?
The first thing I thought when reading back my post was that I still had no idea what Black Ash had to do with anything lol.
You'll find that as you read through the forums, you'll encounter a few posts that take off on a tangent and wonder the same thing.

I can't recommend any schools that would meet your requirement. What I've done over the years is to buy beat up guitars cheap and do resto mods. Sorta learn/hone my skills to hopefully start building my own. I find that youtube's a pretty good source for stuff. There are a few luthiers here that can probably point you in the right direction.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Welcome to the GC Forum.
My goal is to start a company. I want to start an electric guitar company that will fill a much needed niche. I actually would not even call it an niche it more like a necessity. More to follow... (to be cont..)
I look forward to reading the "more to follow".

Where are you on this "journey"?
Do you have a small workshop and/or bench and some woodworking tools?
Have you developed any basic skills associated with woodworking, guitar building and/or modifying?

Have you thought about getting a guitar kit and building that just see what is involved in the many aspects of the process?
This might interest you...
Semi Hollow Tele Build!

What I've done over the years is to buy beat up guitars cheap and do resto mods.
@laristotle 's suggestion is excellent. You can learn a lot by doing this and the costs and risks are low.

Many of us here have done various types and degrees of mods with guitar electronics. No problem getting help with that

There are a few luthiers here that can probably point you in the right direction.
Hopefully @Silvertone , @nnieman , and others will see this thread.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
welcome to the band

lots of different backgrounds here (heritage and work)

no mention of woodworking or electronic skill set in your post , so kinda hard to recommend much at this point

still, keep your eyes open and something will pop up that will interest you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Boozhoo!
I lived and worked in Sarnia for thirty years before moving here and think of it often with fondness. I enjoyed teaching many elementary school kids from Aamjiwnaang as well. Being here is almost as much fun! All the best with your guitar endeavours.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
I grew up in Ashgrove, ON. We had many ash trees on the farm. I still have a nice 150 year old 2” slab of it in my kitchen for a cutting board.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Welcome!

I'm no luthier but I have built a few.

I have never used black ash for guitars, but I do have a massive pile in my barn.

I would be happy to answer any questions and point you in the direction of parts & lumber suppliers.

I get my fretboards cnc'd by a local luthier friend and most of my consumables (pots, wiring etc) comes from nextgen guitars in Ottawa.

I don't know of any Ontario based guitar building courses, I started out doing tech work and repairs.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hi !
Welcome !
Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
My goal is to start a company. I want to start an electric guitar company....
Rather than learning to build guitars, are you more interested in guitar design, large scale manufacturing, marketing, advertising, etc aspects of guitar building...like Ola Englund of "Solar Guitars"?

....or maybe both?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts