The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new around here, greetings from Scarborough! I've been playing guitar since almost 3 years ago, but I haven't started learning music and theories since this summer. Plot twist, I'm also deaf and hard of hearing. Currently my guitar rig isn't anything fancy, I have a Squier Strat, and an epiphone les paul standard pro, and I play through a Fender Frontman 15G combo. I know it's brutal, but the truth is I haven't got a lot of money laying around. However I've recently bought a used Marshall Ma50H for $250, I was told that it was a steal by my peers. I don't seem to have a cabinet right now for it, if you have any suggestions for any cheap 4x12s, please let me know! So far in my mind I am thinking of getting that Harley Benton G412A, the non-vintage speaker ones.

Feel free to ask any questions on my experiences with playing guitar being deaf! As i'll try answer them all!

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Feel free to ask any questions on my experiences with playing guitar being deaf! As i'll try answer them all!
My wife is suffering hearing loss. She enjoys her accordian every day. She finds that hearing aids distort the notes by altering frequencies, and enjoys playing without them. What has been your experience with hearing aids? Thanks, bud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife is suffering hearing loss. She enjoys her accordian every day. She finds that hearing aids distort the notes by altering frequencies, and enjoys playing without them. What has been your experience with hearing aids? Thanks, bud.
Hey! Yeah, when I play guitar I don't use my hearing aids. Not only do they distort it and make it sound all muddy, the batteries itself are pretty pricey.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Help me understand as I'm adopted Canadian and English speaker. Deaf means you have hearing loss or you can't hear at all? How much can you hear, is that even possible to describe?
Welcome to GC, we're a great bunch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help me understand as I'm adopted Canadian and English speaker. Deaf means you have hearing loss or you can't hear at all? How much can you hear, is that even possible to describe?
Welcome to GC, we're a great bunch
Hey! yeah! For me, I cannot hear a lot high notes and middle notes. Think about have a flat guitar tone, where everything is even for example every knob is at 5. So my hearing loss would be like middle turned down to 2, and highs turned down to about 1 maybe 1.5, and the bass/lows are about 3.5 maybe 4. So I can hear most bassy things, but when it comes to a normal conversation I start having troubles. Deaf means either your hearing is gone, or you can hear very minimal. Deaf and hard of hearing means that you still have hearing, but not the same as everyone else. So, to answer your question by that logic yes. But it really depends. Every hearing loss is very different from people to people. Hope this helps! :) if you need further explaining let me know as I am glad to help you out.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,822 Posts
Hey Zach. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story! Very interesting.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Hey! yeah! For me, I cannot hear a lot high notes and middle notes. Think about have a flat guitar tone, where everything is even for example every knob is at 5. So my hearing loss would be like middle turned down to 2, and highs turned down to about 1 maybe 1.5, and the bass/lows are about 3.5 maybe 4. So I can hear most bassy things, but when it comes to a normal conversation I start having troubles. Deaf means either your hearing is gone, or you can hear very minimal. Deaf and hard of hearing means that you still have hearing, but not the same as everyone else. So, to answer your question by that logic yes. But it really depends. Every hearing loss is very different from people to people. Hope this helps! :) if you need further explaining let me know as I am glad to help you out.
Thanks for the explanation Zach. Have you tried amp simulation software for your electric guitar? It will allow you to craft a reference tone with a lot of high frequency content to compensate for your hearing loss and and at the same time create a parallel, more flat tone for other people to listen to. I can help you set up something like this using free software if you have a computer and ever want to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Hey Zach, welcome to the forum. I'm from Scarborough as well. I think you'll enjoy it here. Sorry to read about your hearing problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the explanation Zach. Have you tried amp simulation software for your electric guitar? It will allow you to craft a reference tone with a lot of high frequency content to compensate for your hearing loss and and at the same time create a parallel, more flat tone for other people to listen to. I can help you set up something like this using free software if you have a computer and ever want to give it a try.
No problem! I'll definitely give it ago!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow hearing loss person. My hearing loss stems from to many hours working on and repairing large diesel engines and to much time standing in front of some very large sound equipment. I also find playing guitar when I have hearing aids in place that the sound is not what I would call realistic, everything sounds kind of high and tinny.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Hi Zachary! Glad you could join in the fun and frivolity.

Sorry to hear about your problems!

It sounds like you are coping with this situation though! Good for you!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Hi Zach. Good to have you aboard! My Mother was completely deaf from the age of 19. She was the most musical one in our family. She loved to sing and did so around the house pretty well every day.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey ! Nice to have you in.

Deafness and musicians would be a great subject to talk about...

ADD ON :
Just opened the subject DEAFNESS in Theory and Technique section.
Did write a note with basic info on the subject.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
Welcome to the GC forum, Zach!

I hope this is not a silly question... which can be somewhat typical of what I often do.

Have you ever gone to a music store and tried a graphic equalizer (0r a parametric EQ) to bump specific frequencies beyond what tone controls can accomplish to see if there are any advantages for your own personal listening?

Please post often.

Enjoy all that this wonderful forum has to offer!

Cheers

Dave

EDIT: I read what @amagras offered to help you with. It is a much more advanced and very probably/hopefully has the potential to be helpful and, hopefully, a successful solution. @amagras is extremely skilled as a guitarist and very accomplished in interfacing/recording with computers.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad you are still able to enjoy music, hope we can help you get the most out of your playing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts