The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Welcome to the forum Julian!

No real preference here, but stainless is nice.
I know what I don't like, small vintage frets, "fretless wonders".
I had an older Greco that was a really nice guitar, but couldn't get along with the frets and neck, for that natter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too love stainless, why don't more luthiers use it?
Personally, I think more should use it. It does not sound different. Just excuses haha... Obviously luthiers want to make money because NS frets wear so much faster. I like to provide results that are longterm. Anyways, guitars shouldnt have NS frets.. Just my opinion. Glad you like SS!

Oh and everyone thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum Julian and I'm with you when it comes to stainless steel frets. I have one guitar that's been fitted with them.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Welcome.

What frets do you prefer? I love Stainless Steel!
I don't really think about it much (perhaps I should), but the one time I really noticed that I liked something were the brass mini frets on my Victory Standard bass (also brass nut). Also they seem to be more trapezoidal in shape than domed. Had another instrument refretted with jumbos and they're a'ight; haven't met a fret that actually bothered me.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Welcome Julian. I agree on the SS frets. I go with the old Fram oil filter saying. Pay now or pay later. For the little extra SS costs, it just makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.