The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the entire weekend being a judge for our city's version of the "Idol" type contest (Brantford Idol).

It was a fantastic experience. I felt very comfortable in the role and believe we made the right choices in all categories.

Frankly, some of the singers I heard were bloody amazing.

I managed to score several very lucrative sound gigs and one for my band as well. Additionally, I now know of several very talented singers I can add to my roster of contacts.

In a sense it was a humbling experience. I now realize what a mediocre singer I really am.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a great experience, Milkman. I feel the same way everytime I hear a great guitar player.
LOL, same here. My only saving grace is the ability to do a lot of things passably well, sort of a musical jack of all trades.

And it was indeed a great weekend. To be able to listen carefully and have your opinion and assessment taken seriously is very enjoyable and gratifying.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I judged in year one of that event. It was tiring, scratch that...it was exhausting. We went through hours of intense critical listening. I was the "Simon" on the judging team, and I took a bit of abuse from some parents, but I tried hard to keep in mind that the local singing contest was not entertainment television, and destructive critcism was not helpful or needed. I disagreed with one of the choices the year I judged, I had a singer in 1st, everyone else had that singer in 2nd, and I couldn't convince them otherwise. A hung jury wasn't an option.

And yes...there is some talent out there, I mean right here!!!!

This year the only contentious issues were who was in third place in a couple of categories.

The winners were all unanimously determined by the judges.

It was a very positive experience all around for mebut yes, it was exhausting for sure. I also preformed several times over the course of the event. I figure if I can sit in judgement I should put my money where my mouth is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts