The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if.......

...music stores had a lounge where craft beer was served in an over 18 area?
...music stores had a lounge where you could just jam with whomever was there?
...music stores had singer/song-writer events?
...music stores were a place you wanted to hang out for an afternoon?
...music stores had a cigar/whiskey lounge?
...music stores got rid of the tacky disco balls lights, moved the drum section to an isolated room?

·
Registered
662 Posts
There’s a privately owned music store here with open mic nights, and booze, plus you can jam there whenever you want; they have a stage setup.

My guess is it’s too much liability for the bigger players.

·
Premium Member
17,358 Posts
What if.......

...music stores had a lounge where craft beer was served in an over 18 area?
...music stores had a cigar/whiskey lounge?
...music stores got rid of the tacky disco balls lights, moved the drum section to an isolated room?
So, what if music stores were bars?

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There’s a privately owned music store here with open mic nights, and booze, plus you can jam there whenever you want; they have a stage setup.

My guess is it’s too much liability for the bigger players.
I figured there'd be some smaller places that have that vibe. Nothing near here that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
25,121 Posts
What if bookstores also sold gift items and had a place where you could buy expensive coffee, use their free wi-fi to do your work, and schmooze for hours, without buying a single thing other than coffee? Sound familiar?

All the things you note would probably make going to the music sore a more pleasant and appealing experience. The larger question is whether it would end up selling more gear and assuring the sustainability of the business that would provide all those other niceties. Maybe. But I'd put more of my chips on "not".

Now, if music stores partnered with club owners to operate independent businesses immediately adjacent to each other, we might have something there.

We actually had an arrangement sort of like that, four blocks from me: a pub with live musical entertainment, separated from a guitar shop by a small dry-cleaning outlet, in a suburban strip mall. The guitar shop folded, but primarily because the landlord acted stupidly and greedily and essentially made the conditions completely untenable and forced the guitar store out. So, there can be many exogenous factors that caninterfere with the scenario you describe. But hey, we can dream, right?

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What if bookstores also sold gift items and had a place where you could buy expensive coffee, use their free wi-fi to do your work, and schmooze for hours, without buying a single thing other than coffee? Sound familiar?

All the things you note would probably make going to the music sore a more pleasant and appealing experience. The larger question is whether it would end up selling more gear and assuring the sustainability of the business that would provide all those other niceties. Maybe. But I'd put more of my chips on "not".

Now, if music stores partnered with club owners to operate independent businesses immediately adjacent to each other, we might have something there.

We actually had an arrangement sort of like that, four blocks from me: a pub with live musical entertainment, separated from a guitar shop by a small dry-cleaning outlet, in a suburban strip mall. The guitar shop folded, but primarily because the landlord acted stupidly and greedily and essentially made the conditions completely untenable and forced the guitar store out. So, there can be many exogenous factors that caninterfere with the scenario you describe. But hey, we can dream, right?
Good point about hangers-on but the sale of craft beer/wine might make up for the cheapskates. I'd love to open a place like I described.

·
Premium Member
25,121 Posts
Possibly. Except that I'm not sure if music stores can get liquor licenses. There would also be the age thing. Keeping the 14 year-olds and their parents, shopping for a Squier or Epiphone starter kits, on the right side of the store would be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
25,121 Posts
How about this "what if music stores were open on Sundays, when people still need new strings or sticks?"
I don't know about other places, but L&M as well as Spaceman music in town are open on Sundays. Limited hours, but still.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
I like the idea of an "adults only" music store....it sounds more like Jam night at The Firkin though....Not sure how much revenue in stores is split between 18+ and under 18....simply may not be feasible.
I could see a high end place doing something like it....maybe even have a membership for access to certain areas like a gentlemans club.
Sounds like fun really.

·
Premium Member
17,358 Posts
I don't know about other places, but L&M as well as Spaceman music in town are open on Sundays. Limited hours, but still.
I don't think it's all L&M's and I think it's a relatively new thing. When I worked at the mall music store, we were open sundays and it was great for anyone who needed something last minute (though out of the way depending where you live). That store has since closed though. I think stores are finally realizing that there's gigs 7 days a week for some of us.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I don't think it's all L&M's and I think it's a relatively new thing. When I worked at the mall music store, we were open sundays and it was great for anyone who needed something last minute (though out of the way depending where you live). That store has since closed though. I think stores are finally realizing that there's gigs 7 days a week for some of us.
Yeah, it varies from city to city. The L&M in Cambridge is open on Sundays. I think it's the only one in the area that is though.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
What if.......

If I want a beer or glass of wine, I will have it at home and with the DUI laws companies can get sued big time for providing alcohol if there is a DUI charge.

I like all the other ideal, though.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I want a beer or glass of wine, I will have it at home and with the DUI laws companies can get sued big time for providing alcohol if there is a DUI charge.

I like all the other ideal, though.
You don’t have to partake but the option is there. Bars are still doing big business.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah, I think I'd really like going to a store to buy strings and have to listen to drunk patrons jamming out Eagles tunes while they loiter on couches. Sounds great.

And BTW- get off my lawn!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
How about this "what if music stores were open on Sundays, when people still need new strings or sticks?"
It's totally annoying as a shopper, but L&M dedicates itself to employing working musicians. Since many of their staff gig on Saturdays, many locations are closed on Sundays. I like the idea and support it, since I think L&M's policy of hiring musicians is a good one.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts