The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
8 grand and 4 month wait time for a fairly plain guitar without anything fancy...

Wow. I think I am in the wrong line of work..

AJC

·
Premium Member
16,575 Posts
ajcoholic said:
8 grand and 4 month wait time for a fairly plain guitar without anything fancy...

Wow. I think I am in the wrong line of work..

AJC

Based on what I've seen of your instruments I would agree. Sadly, when you try to make a living from something you love, you often have to comprimise to the extent that it stops being fun.

·
Premium Member
16,575 Posts
david henman said:
...hmmm...maybe i should ask that they take my name off those things.

:mad:

-dh

It would be interesting to play an $8000. guitar just once for the experience.

I guess having had to work for a living all my life, such numbers are pretty much loony.

I could get a complete rig and a van to load it into for that (buying used of course).

Still....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I figure it this way... I have a 4000 sq foot wood shop, my overhead and wage I pay myself (about $20/hr) sets my hourly shop rate at $48/hr. I doubt highly that most guitar builders have a half million dollar shop with large industrial machines (I am talking custom builders not manufacturers). So even with my rate and overhead, talking about $500 for parts (hardware, wood and thats generous) $8000 would give me about 150 hours, or nearly 4 weeks of full time work.

That, is friggin crazy! I figure, if I had to, and mae jigs, etc I could make at least 3 or 4 Telecaster style guitars (including finishing and wiring, etc) in one week, as most ofmy guitars take me about 15 to 20 hours and doing multiples at a time is faster.

So, If it were possible to sell these guitars at $8000 a pop, I could make one a month, and work one week and take three off and still make close to 100K.

Dreams.... dreams all dreams...:tongue:

Then again, I love building furniture. If I HAD to build guitars one after the other, it would certainly lose its fun I am sure, just the same as if I built the same pieceof furniture day after day...

AJC (sorry for the rambling)

·
Registered
644 Posts
ajcoholic said:
I figure it this way... I have a 4000 sq foot wood shop, my overhead and wage I pay myself (about $20/hr) sets my hourly shop rate at $48/hr. I doubt highly that most guitar builders have a half million dollar shop with large industrial machines (I am talking custom builders not manufacturers). So even with my rate and overhead, talking about $500 for parts (hardware, wood and thats generous) $8000 would give me about 150 hours, or nearly 4 weeks of full time work.

That, is friggin crazy! I figure, if I had to, and mae jigs, etc I could make at least 3 or 4 Telecaster style guitars (including finishing and wiring, etc) in one week, as most ofmy guitars take me about 15 to 20 hours and doing multiples at a time is faster.

So, If it were possible to sell these guitars at $8000 a pop, I could make one a month, and work one week and take three off and still make close to 100K.

Dreams.... dreams all dreams...:tongue:

Then again, I love building furniture. If I HAD to build guitars one after the other, it would certainly lose its fun I am sure, just the same as if I built the same pieceof furniture day after day...

AJC (sorry for the rambling)
Lets do it AJ. I'll come and work in your shop so I will only ask $2000 per guitar and you can have the other $6000 because of the overhead.:banana:

In our dreams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts