The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm just a beginner to the whole guitar scene and have been looking around for guitars and have narrowed it down to either the epiphone Les paul special II or the Ibanez GRX20. Which one do you think would be best for a starter like me. I have read really good reviews about both. I also understand that the special II comes in some form of package aswell. As for shape I kidna like both so you guys help with which would be best.

(P.S. the style of music I woudl like to play is kidna undefined, just looking for an overall type of guitar.)

Also do you think it woudl be better to buy and LP-100 instead, or am I right when im thinking to save the slighlty higher priced guitars fo rlater.

Lastly, could you suggest an amp, maybe even a pedal (cheap one im guessing XD)? I'm looking to spend around $250 or maybe $300.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Of the 2, I'd go for the epiphone, personally, but that's just me. Do you definitely want a guitar w/ 2 humbuckers? Because otherwise, I'd consider squier strats and yamahas as well. Either way, go to a store and play they both. Is that $250-300 budget for a guitar and an amp? I'd recommend something like a roland cube or vox avt. I have a Fender 15G and it's not half bad... *shrugs* I'd hold off on the pedals until later...unless you really want one :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you try both guitars or is this sight unseen?

I don't know anything about these guitars but if it was me I'd stay away from a budget beginning guitar with any type of no name tremolo system. It might not be the case with the Ibanez but in my experience, low end beginner guitars with tremolos suffer from constant tuning problems.

That being said I'd go for the Epiphone, and I betcha dollars to donuts you won't notice a stitch of difference in the quality of a $150 LP Special 2 compared to a $180 LP 100.

As for the pedals. Don't buy pedals right away, save up over time and buy quality pedals, stay away from the cheap stuff. Get an amp that has built in fx instead.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jane I pretty much copied you word for word not intentional at all. Couldn't agree more with you.
It's all good :D

And yeah - I remember trying an epiphone special II and the L-100 when I was first guitar shopping... put the $$ towards a nicer amp.

I've never tried an Ibanez GRX20 but I did try the GAX20... it wasn't my thing but IIRC, it doesn't have a tremelo system so check that out too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the help:D. And I have tried out the special II and its nice and heavy, but haven't gotten to try the ibanez as of yet. Also I understad that the speical II also comes in some form of starter pack. I hear those amps are kinda crappy though. Would you suggest that pack or to buy it all sperately?:smile:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks guys for the help:D. And I have tried out the special II and its nice and heavy, but haven't gotten to try the ibanez as of yet. Also I understad that the speical II also comes in some form of starter pack. I hear those amps are kinda crappy though. Would you suggest that pack or to buy it all sperately?:smile:
I would very strongly suggest buying it all separately because you'll get a better amp.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...you're getting some excellent advice here, especially regarding actually picking the guitar up and playing it before you buy it. that is very important.

-dh

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
NEVER FORGET, a Guitar is just like a woman, it's slick, sexy, etc etc, and it as most likely a temper..:), it therefor needs to match yours..:), then it's pure magic for ever....unlike most marriages :sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahahah funny comment al3d XD. And yes I have tried the special II and I quite like it, but I have not tried out the Ibanez yet. How much will it cost me if I get the special II or ibanez with a good quality amp, picks, strap, gig bag, tuner and stand hmmm.... RESEARCH TIME XD. Btw THANKS GUYS U ALL ROCK:rockon:

·
Registered
62 Posts
For the amp.... if you have to spend 250 - 300... go fot Roland Cube 30X that is what I suggest you. I got it and it's pretty versatile. multiple effect, 30 watt, many option.... I recommand you for beginning, later buy something bigger, but check this amp in the store... pretty good...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha I dont wanna spend 250 on the amp:p I wanna try to get the guitar, amp and accessories and what not for around $250 - $300. I wouldn't midn a kinda ok amp for now. MAybe around $50- $80 for the amp? Have any of you tried the ibanez GRX20 before. It seems to have slightly better reviews then the Special II :S

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
get a squier and be done with it...amazing guitars for the price, but make sure you play a few of them at a store and pick the best one as there are some bad ones I hear.

then buy yourself a roland cube amp

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's always the local pawnshop

I bought my Laney Protube for 150 bucks and a modded squire strat(someone added a really hot humbucker, I later resold) for 129, they smoked together and then my birthday present was a behringer compressor, hey decent rig for less than 300 dollars. But I was kinda lucky methinks, loved that setup though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I suggest you buy an acoustic guitar to get started on. Believe me, I understand the desire to play with high gain and effects, but all that stuff can really distract you from learning the basic notes and chords. I'd get some chops on the acoustic and later on get into the electric stuff. IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've already played acoustic a bit, because my cousin has one lol. I just wanna know a nice amp to go with my guitar ( I think I will probably go with the Epiphone Les Paul Special II). Rememebr I also wanna buy a gig bag, tuner, picks, strap and a stand for around $250-$300. BTW THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME, U GUYS ROCK, really u guys rule:D:banana:

·
Registered
97 Posts
i would go for the LP special. u should try the guitar out if you can then you can decide if the sound is what ur looking for.

if your playing in a room, u can just buy a small 5w or 10w amp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah I will be playing a room and maybe outside once in a while, BTW I can't try out the Ibanez GRX20 cause the long and Mcquades by me doesn't have it in stock, and I have to get a stock exchange with another branch in order to buy it so I can't try it, I can only buy it :S

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you're going to be playing out with other guitars/a drummer, I don't think an amp in that range is going to cut it. I would suggest a Roland Cube. Or an Epiphone Junior Valve - I think that's like $130 at L&M. You should probably try those out too...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts