The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some help here. I have strat with a seymour lil'59 in the bridge and singles in the neck and mid. I am getting crazy feedback in all but 2 positions (bridge and neck/mid) when using any kind of distortion. Everything sounds great on the clean, what could be wrong?

The pots and 5way selector are new as well as the seymour.
Thanks, Joshua.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it feedback or is it noise? Noise is like a humming sound and feedback is generally screechy.

You can try adjusting your pickups, getting noiseless ones/humbuckers, or just living with it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Have you tried shielding your guitar cavities? It works wonders on single coil equipped guitars especially when using them at higher gain etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When standing near the amplifier, try and keep your back to it, or slightly to the side. Try and keep the front of the guitar away from the amplifier.

If your amplifier has an open back, then trying to have the amp not faving you will be hard, since the back will also generate feedback. In this case, putting some kind of foam in the back of the speakers to deaden it should help. However try not to pack too much in there. The amplifier still has to stay cool and the only way of doing that is the air coming in from the back of the amp.

Set your EQ settings to the middle position. This will give you a flat response with no colouring to the sound. Now gradually bring up the bass and treble for and see if you can get to your desired volume level.

Make sure that every component of your guitar is properly grounded (i.e. volume controls, tone etc.). Incorrect shielding or grounding problems are a causes of feedback problems.

Make sure that you don't have any ground loops. These can cause feedback and noise etc.

Make sure that all pickups are correctly connected (i.e. That the actual shield is to ground).

If you are still having problems, then it maybe your pickups that are causing problems. Some cheaper pickups when made, are wound loose or the bobbins are loose, which can cause microphonic feedback. The only way of fixing this is by re-waxing the pickups. The pickups are dipped in paraffin wax, which penetrates the coil windings.

Another quick fix that may get rid of microphonic feedback, is removing metal pickup covers. By doing this, it increases the air gap, hopefully reducing the amount of feedback generated between the coil and the cover.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
www.guitarnuts.com

check out the section on sheilding and stuff. Even if thats not what is causing the noise you have, its still a good idea with most single coil guitars. The exception is if your guitar already has conductive paint over the control and pickup cavities. I think the control cavity is more important to shield if I remember correctly. You can even just use household aluminum foil to shield a strat, but read the instructions first at the site I have ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts