The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bass player so I have no idea how to achieve the sound I want in a guitar for my son's Christmas present. The following link shows the sound I want and the type of music my son is into. He is almost at this guys level but not quite there yet. I need advice on pups and so forth. Thanks in advance.:smilie_flagge17:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z95VRQLJgD0&mode=related&search=

·
Registered
75 Posts
Alot of guys that play shreddy type stuff like that use Ibanez guitars (which that appears to be). Alot of them are made of Basswood which accentuates (sp?) the mids. Now I believe RR used a Les Paul Custom when recording the original (as well as Zakk Wylde).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My son plays a Ibanez S470 I believe. I was wondering about this guys pickup config. Is it H S H ? Cant tell the bridge pup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm pretty sure he had a Humbucker in the bridge position. Alot of those guys like dimarzio pickups. If you go to Dimazio website its setup to help choose pickups for what wood type, and player type.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I believe the guy in the video is using a guitar with a basswood body. But if your son wants like a Rhoads / Wylde style tone, mahogany body is the way to go (not to say basswood is bad, I love basswood).

High output bridge pickup is helpful, look at Dimarzio or if your son likes active pickups EMGs are also great (but less versatile). Check out the EMG 81 for the bridge. Dimarzio's... Super Distortion, D-Sonic or D-Activiator are the way to go IMO.

Neck pickup, Dimarzio Air Norton would be my choice. Best Dimarzio for the neck position IMO. If you go with active EMGs, you'll need another active pickup in the neck. EMG 85 is my favorite (I have almost all the active models... 85, 81, 60, etc.).

The bridge type... well, does he like to do divebombs and shit? If so, you have to go floating.

Pretty much the basics right there. There's a few small things you could figure out (preferred fret size for instance), but the above will basically cover the sound (regarding the guitar that is... pedals and amp play a huge part too).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think a set of Dimarzio's should get the sound you're looking for...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've always hated the looks of those Ibanezeseses, Jacksons, etc that some metal players use.

Maybe the Ernie Ball Music Man's would be alright? They're made of basswood as well. Some respected shredders play them too!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've always hated the looks of those Ibanezeseses, Jacksons, etc that some metal players use.

Maybe the Ernie Ball Music Man's would be alright? They're made of basswood as well. Some respected shredders play them too!
yes, that is also a really nice guitar. Another sweet guitar maker is schecter. Check out some of their higher end guitars, as they are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
i'm gonna have to pipe up and also suggest looking into the seymour duncan JB/59 pickups as well. many many pros use 'em, and they are sweet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This probably has been covered before but;
If I had an original Floyd Rose is it an option to go with locking tuners and Graph-Tech nut or use the locking nut supplied with the bridge. Sorry about newbie questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts