The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this old Vantage electric. I was going to block the bridge because the term arm is broken (the pot metal where the term arm screws into is cracked). When I removed the bridge I realized the entire bridge is cracked/broken. I would like to replace the bridge, but how do I find a replacement? The screws are about 72.5mm apart, which is apparently different than a real Floyd.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
That's a bummer. I would consider to pull out the old bushings, plug the holes with hard stock and drilling out new ones to match one of those cheap 3bay locker trem parts kits. Its just wood. Bigger bummer is the wait time for shipping, but they are cheap. Might order two in case you get the hankering to grind the plate to accommodate the existing narrower bushing setup.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I go and pull the old bushings and plug is there a fixed bridge that I can put in? I'm not into floating bridges or even trems really.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
It would probably be way more trouble than its worth to convert it to a hardtail...... You will likely find the cavity for the block is right where the screws would go on a fixed bridge. I wonder, though if you might be able to get a tuneomatic to fit?

The current bridge looks recessed from the picture - that's going to make it really difficult to do anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like a kkt/Bennder/Bendmaster tremolo. I'm surprised nobody is making replacement brass blocks for them. I'd get a new block made or wait for one to turn up on ebay.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Whatever you replace it with, it will need the proper string spacing (E to E). There are a few ways you can go. Get a local machine shop (or hobby machinist) to mill you up a new block that the saddle plate will mount to (if you can't find a replacement). Or, glue in a block of wood where the block goes in and put a hardtail bridge on it (cosmetics will be off). Or, find a whole Floyd type unit that can be put in the body with a few mods to the body (filling and redrilling holes and other cosmetics). Or...........You have a bunch of spare parts (you could build or buy a whole new body too).

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I might just sell it on Kijiji as a parts/project guitar. This was my first guitar (got it when I was 14). Not really my style anymore and I'm not overly sentimental about objects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts