The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
As I understand it, if the desired length is less than 10' then just about any guitar will do the job (sound quality-wise). A quality cable is required for runs over that. Some folks believe that 18'6" is the magic maximum length for guitars and you'll see some companies with cables cut to exactly that length.

I'm actually a big fan of the Planet Waves "directional" cables and have been using several of 20 footers for some time. Recently I was in need of a longer cable for cross-stage applications and settled on a 25' Fender Custom Shop Performance Series in a lovely tweed braid. I was offered a deal by the store that I couldn't refuse.

I was worried about going too long but then I started reading stores about the old blues guys who used 100' cables to wander into the crowd.

I have a question and I hope it doesn't take things off the rails but it's cable related.
Looking through a bin of mine recently trying find something to wire up a pedalboard I found a couple of unused 10 foot speaker cables that looked like guitar cables, all the conductors in one insulation sleeve, but it was 14 gauge. Really? When do you use something that heavy? All of my head to speaker can cables are 18 gauge and have the appearance of 2 conductors running side by side, the standard as far as I can tell.

I have a question and I hope it doesn't take things off the rails but it's cable related.
Looking through a bin of mine recently trying find something to wire up a pedalboard I found a couple of unused 10 foot speaker cables that looked like guitar cables, all the conductors in one insulation sleeve, but it was 14 gauge. Really? When do you use something that heavy? All of my head to speaker can cables are 18 gauge and have the appearance of 2 conductors running side by side, the standard as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure there is a standard.

Anywhere from 18 to 14 gauge is fine AFAIK. The length of the cable is a key factor. Longer cables should be heavier gauge.

Some of the speaker cables with no outer insulation over the 2 inner conductors are twisted together.

Cheers

Dave

Our P/A speaker cables are like that. Our 50'ers are all 14 gauge in super-heavy-duty sheathing - 50' is not so long when you are running the perimeter of a stage. The 4 footer I use for my own extension cab is made from 18 ga. lamp chord though.

It makes sense that the longer cables would be a heavier gauge but these are only 10 feet. I got to thinking about it and I'm sure they aren't even mine, just got shoved in the crate packing up at a gig. I'll stick to using the lamp cord.

Probably too late to the party, but I would suggest Switchcraft model 228 right-angle plugs over model 226. The 228's are quite flat and work well with pedalboards and pedals with jacks on their sides. I notice Q-components doesn't stock them, but just something to consider for future builds.

Probably too late to the party, but I would suggest Switchcraft model 228 right-angle plugs over model 226. The 228's are quite flat and work well with pedalboards and pedals with jacks on their sides. I notice Q-components doesn't stock them, but just something to consider for future builds.
Where do you get your Switchcraft model 228 plugs?

I can get plenty of Chinese made copies locally, but never seem to see the Switchcraft brand.

Cheers

Dave

Where do you get your Switchcraft model 228 plugs?

I can get plenty of Chinese made copies locally, but never seem to see the Switchcraft brand.

Cheers

Dave
Off the top of my head, I can't remember. It was an on-line Canadian source (more electronics-related than MI) and I think I paid around $6 per plug. I'll check when I'm at home and see if I can find the boxes.

It was Electrosonic (e-sonic.com). The plugs are now $6.77CDN ea (I think they were a bit cheaper when I bought them, they ship from the US). Cheaper if you need more than 25. Flat rate shipping to Canada as well.

Cheers

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.