The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
By the switch, it says ‘import’. There are different wiring versions for different variants of that switch.

After listening I think it’s bad switch wiring but more likely a missing or bad (cold soldered?) ground, or other grounding issue.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
By the switch, it says ‘import’. There are different wiring versions for different variants of that switch.

After listening I think it’s bad switch wiring but more likely a missing or bad (cold soldered?) ground, or other grounding issue.
It's just the switch style all diagrams are the same. I'm not cold soldering either

I had a few minutes so I went looking.

Once again, I'm assuming that you have checked continuity throughout the entire circuit and found that all is OK and that there are no ground <> "hot" connections.

This is from the 'net...
(my apologies if you know all of this and have done all the same testing)

Get your multi-meter (or borrow one if you don't have one) and set it to the ohms (resistance) setting. Remove the battery from the guitar and unplug the guitar from the amp. Then start checking the connections between places that should be connected (i.e., places that have a wire between them) with the meter. They should all read zero ohms. If you find one that reads more than that, that's your problem and you'll have to re-solder that wire.

If you don't find one, plug the battery back in and plug the guitar in, and start playing. Then wiggle wires. If one makes a ton of noise when you wiggle it, that's your culprit. Also try turning pots and flipping switches.

If that still doesn't find the problem, use the ohm meter to check the resistance across your pots. It should be whatever it says on the pot case. Check to make sure the centre contact of the pot does what it's supposed to.

If that doesn't work, set your meter to DC volts and make sure that the voltage from the power to ground on each EMG pickup is 9v.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I had a few minutes so I went looking.

Once again, I'm assuming that you have checked continuity throughout the entire circuit and found that all is OK and that there are no ground <> "hot" connections.

This is from the 'net...
(my apologies if you know all of this and have done all the same testing)

Get your multi-meter (or borrow one if you don't have one) and set it to the ohms (resistance) setting. Remove the battery from the guitar and unplug the guitar from the amp. Then start checking the connections between places that should be connected (i.e., places that have a wire between them) with the meter. They should all read zero ohms. If you find one that reads more than that, that's your problem and you'll have to re-solder that wire.

If you don't find one, plug the battery back in and plug the guitar in, and start playing. Then wiggle wires. If one makes a ton of noise when you wiggle it, that's your culprit. Also try turning pots and flipping switches.

If that still doesn't find the problem, use the ohm meter to check the resistance across your pots. It should be whatever it says on the pot case. Check to make sure the centre contact of the pot does what it's supposed to.

If that doesn't work, set your meter to DC volts and make sure that the voltage from the power to ground on each EMG pickup is 9v.
I checked it all and all is fine. I even soldered in a new battery connector

bypass the pots. if you get a good pure sound then the problem is the pots. if you still get a dirty sound then you know it isn't the pots

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.