The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. So I recently got a guitar that wasn't complete. I got the parts required and I'm trying to wire it. But it doesn't sound very good. It's running active emg 85 and 81. With 1 volume and 1 tone. A telecaster style 3 way switch. I included pics and the diagram I followed to a tee. But I can't see what's wrong. It's a brand new battery

Dropbox - guitar - Simplify your life

·
Premium Member
18,101 Posts
This pot looks like it was possibly overheated during soldering and might not be working as a result. There is also a lot of extra solder on the pot that could be giving you problems.
In addition, a stray fragment of wire (inside the red "circle) can cause problems if it touches the wrong part of the pot.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 8.46.33 PM.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really control the volume. It's crackles and buzzes and cuts out with volume turns. There's alot of solder because I had to undo every the last guy did and I don't have the solder removal tool. The stray wire was removed and didn't help . I tried emg solderless before this but still for some reason I had no volume control and other sound issues like cutting in and out with the volume knob at certain levels. Tried 2 solderless pots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This pot looks like it was possibly overheated during soldering and might nor be working as a result. There is also a lot of extra solder on the pot that could be giving you problems.
In addition, a stray fragment of wire (inside the red "circle) can cause problems if it touches the wrong part of the pot.

View attachment 250820
Removed with no help yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Than
What is not sounding good?
Examples...
No sound?
Buzzing sound?
No control of volume and/or tone?

Edit: My apologies for not welcoming you to the forum before asking all the above questions.....
WELCOME to a great forum!
Thank you!

I can't really control the volume. It's crackles and buzzes and cuts out with volume turns.

·
Premium Member
18,101 Posts
Are these solder joints to the pot terminals touching the body of the pot?

I think it would be wise to buy a solder sucker, unsolder the pots (and possibly other parts of the circuit), test the pots (you will need a meter for this) and re-solder everything carefully and with much less solder.
I know that is not what you wanted to hear.
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.04.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.05.39 PM.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
W
Are these solder joints to the pot terminals touching the body of the pot?

I think it would be wise to buy a solder sucker, unsolder the pots (and possibly other parts of the circuit), test the pots (you will need a meter for this) and re-solder everything carefully and with much less solder.
I know that is not what you wanted to hear.
View attachment 250822 View attachment 250824
I can get a hold of all of that. What should the meter read when testing them?

·
Premium Member
18,101 Posts
Each of the pots with the wires removed, cleaned up and taken out of the circuit should read from about "0" to about 25,000 (or 25K) ohms (assuming the pots in the guitar are the same as in the diagram)

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.15.00 PM.png

This might help...

·
Premium Member
25,327 Posts
You'll forgive the nosy and presumptuous question, but the solder blobs lead me to ask it: what are you using for soldering iron?

·
Premium Member
9,229 Posts
I’d personally rewire everything onto good new pots, with a nice hot iron. Rough up the pots with like 400 grit or a little coarser sandpaper where you plan to wire to them. If you have the iron, it’s just a couple pots, $40 will get you lifetime quality, $1 ea will get you minis, which you don’t want. And the switches are cheap too, if it has been similarly re-soldered.

·
Premium Member
18,101 Posts
I said earlier.
I think @mhammer is asking what kind of soldering iron you are using and if it has sufficient power to get hot enough for proper soldering.
Do you see anything on the soldering iron that says " ___ watts"?

I’d personally rewire everything onto good new pots, with a nice hot iron. Rough up the pots with like 400 grit or a little coarser sandpaper where you plan to wire to them. If you have the iron, it’s just a couple pots, $40 will get you lifetime quality, $1 ea will get you minis, which you don’t want. And the switches are cheap too, if it has been similarly re-soldered.
This is excellent advice. Save yourself a lot of going in circles like I was suggesting earlier and just start with new pots and focus on good soldering technique.

By chance, does the solder you are using say "lead free"? That stuff is murder to solder with.

·
Premium Member
18,101 Posts
It doesn't seem to have the same range of degrees of turning as the volume
You could cut the wire from the volume pot to the tone pot and see if you notice any change at all. I strongly doubt that the tone pot is the entire cause of your problem(s), but it could be contributing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a bad / burnt / very dirty pot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I checked every pot and the 3 way switch. All are ok. I also removed all excess solder. But doesn't sound any better. Even after re wiring with a different diagram. I included pics of the new rewire aswell as the new diagram I used and an audio clip of what the guitar sounds like

Dropbox - guitar 2 - Simplify your life

1 - 20 of 42 Posts