The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing White Wedding/Billy Idol as if you needed to know who this song was by! Lol anyhow at 3:28 I can figure this spooky chord out. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
345 Posts
At 3:28, that is a single note pull down on the D string at the 7th fret. Try pulling down to a semi tone (that initial timbre is a bit more than a third above A), play the note, let ring and return to A (the note on the 7th fret of the D string).

I hope my explanation is good enough.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 3:28, that is a single note pull down on the D string at the 7th fret. Try pulling down to a semi tone (that initial timbre is a bit more than a third above A), play the note, let ring and return to A (the note on the 7th fret of the D string).

I hope my explanation is good enough.
I will give it a go.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 3:30 is the same scenario with this but it looks like he is playing a chord with which I am not familiar.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I think it’s just an A chord without the C# that he’s playing. So open A string and then the E and A notes on the second fret.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yeah, the guy in the second video is just playing along (with what I assume may be the correct chords most of the time ;) ), the pre-bend/pull-down is as Boogieman described above, and it is the backing track, not what that guy is playing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That note at 3:01 (guitar out of focus, but it is still possible to see the left hand position):

Same note, different show, at 3:37:

On both videos, the guitar used was some sort of fixed bridge LP type guitar. Steve Stevens recorded the original with a Les Paul, i.e. no trem.

It is possible to use the Floyd dive-bombing technique to get it close enough. Fret the C note on the D string (10th fret), hit the note and work the bar. Might be a good idea to pull the bar slightly sharp before attack and then push to go flat to the A note. That said, pull down on the A note should be the way to go without the need of a trem bridge.

As to the yellow shirt dude playing "White Wedding" at 3:30, he was playing a chord that looks like Am, as Player99 suggested. Some of the chord/tab sites out there have called that whole bridge section of this song to be played with the Am chord. Regardless, the change of pitch was not from his playing and was indeed coming from the backing track, as suggested by vadsy and jb welder.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts