The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to decide which program in college to take by Sunday. I want to know which job has more oppertunities and which job has more pay?
-Computer Programming technology
-Computer Engineering Technology

thanks! (BTW this is community college at humber)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stratocaster said:
I have to decide which program in college to take by Sunday. I want to know which job has more oppertunities and which job has more pay?
-Computer Programming technology
-Computer Engineering Technology

thanks! (BTW this is community college at humber)
Well, if you want my opinion I would go with the Computer Engineering Technology for a couple of reasons. Depending on the depth of the course it will position you for a network admin or sys admin position down the road. With the programming you could find yourself locked in to being a programmer and unless you think that coding all day is fun you may want to leave yourself some options.

Being a sys admin is actually enjoyable, although it can be stressful. However, it combines programming and networking skills and makes for a more varied work environment.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's getting harder and somewhat more demanding. I have worked in Industry for the last 25 years and i see the field filling up. If you want to get a guaranteed job look at the trades and i don't mean engineering. I work as a Industrial electrician, basically troubleshooting automated equipment and the wages can reach or exceed six figures. Something to think about. :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Take the Engineering and learn the programming on the side. I wouldnt take either, but thats how I would approach those two...........

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PaulS said:
It's getting harder and somewhat more demanding. I have worked in Industry for the last 25 years and i see the field filling up. If you want to get a guaranteed job look at the trades and i don't mean engineering. I work as a Industrial electrician, basically troubleshooting automated equipment and the wages can reach or exceed six figures. Something to think about. :food-smiley-004:
I was seriously thinking of going into trades...But my parents said GO TO COLLEGE. Thats how parents are (who came from another country). They don't understand that I have other choices...so I'm going to college....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Do you mean its going to be hard to find a job?
I can pretty much assure you that it will not be easy to find a job unless you have connections. You also have to understand that when you graduate you will really know nothing. That will come with experience in the field.

Also, IT jobs in Toronto pay well....once you are outside the city the pay is not so good.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's ok, most of the industries want college grads for apprenticeships anyway. I went to college as a civil technician and ended up in an apprenticeship for industrial electronics, go figure.... good luck. The nice part about apprenticing is expierence and you get paid along the way...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If you want to make the best money, Software Development all the way.

I don't do sweat shop development, I work with users and management from design to implementation. Because of this I get loads of gratification from my users.

One last Note: It's far easier to go from Developer to Network Admin and System Admin. Proper development requires a good understanding of the infrastucture on which your app will run. Going the other way just creates a hack developer.

Sorry cbh747.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Stratocaster said:
I was seriously thinking of going into trades...But my parents said GO TO COLLEGE. Thats how parents are (who came from another country). They don't understand that I have other choices...so I'm going to college....
Go to college, or the big U. Whenever I see a resume without it, it goes straight to file 13.............

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Yea but...Can I even get into the trades with a computer engineering technology diploma?
Do both if you want, but get some formal education.............

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well lets talk about salary now...
Am I going to be getting something decent with a computer engineering technology diploma?

Sorry bout all the questions, but I'm really desperate right now!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Well lets talk about salary now...
Am I going to be getting something decent with a computer engineering technology diploma?

Sorry bout all the questions, but I'm really desperate right now!
You'll make more money starting out in development. If you are good you'll have job security quickly and your salary will go up fast because of it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts