The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my fender strat to locking tuners. I was going to just order fenders, but figured I would ask the gods first and see what's out there. Thanks in advanced for any input

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I have Gotoh style lockers on my Godin Session, and Planet Waves autotrim tuners on my Godin SD. They’re both good. The Fender branded ones are great too - I’ve worked on some guitars with those on them.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i had schallers on my strat, and i loved them. in fact, i got them at the 12th fret, when someone else decided they didn;t want them, and got a small discount.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have Schaller locking tuners on all of my Music Man guitars and they have been great. String changes are fast and I can't say that I have ever had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Gotoh

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a few. Old set of Sperzels. They’re probably the best. Several sets of the Fender ones. They work fine and are cheap. Planet Waves. Built like a tank and cut the string automatically. Schaller, great quality but heavy. Will try the Graphtech Ratios next. Oh a couple sets of Grover’s came stock on a couple Les Pauls. Work fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I'll do my research now that I know a few brand names. Auto cutting sounds cool but I'll have to read reviews on it

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
@Ayr Guitars swears by the Graphtech Ratios now.

FWIW I’ve had no issues with either Schaller or Sperzel.
Yes, I sure do.... Ratios are all I use now. Amazing tuners. And they will replace stock Fender tuners (with 10mm holes) without any modification at all. Plug and play.

Will try the Graphtech Ratios next.
If you need to get your hands on a set, I can help out with that.

Hipshot are great tuners as well. For that matter, I have 1 set of Hipshot left if anyone needs them. $75 for the set, plus shipping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I sure do.... Ratios are all I use now. Amazing tuners. And they will replace stock Fender tuners (with 10mm holes) without any modification at all. Plug and play.

If you need to get your hands on a set, I can help out with that.

Hipshot are great tuners as well. For that matter, I have 1 set of Hipshot left if anyone needs them. $75 for the set, plus shipping.
Where do you order your graphtechs from?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I installed hipshot locking tuners. They have a universal plate that holds the tuners in place so no drilling.

I also have a set of fenders and they're nice, easy to install...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my fender strat to locking tuners. I was going to just order fenders, but figured I would ask the gods first and see what's out there. Thanks in advanced for any input

Does your Strat have sealed tuners or the Kluson style?
If they are the sealed kind you really should get the Fender Schaller tuners as they are a direct drop in and fit the dowel holes in the headstock for perfect alignment.
There really is no other choice if you have the sealed kind unless you are willing to drill holes or otherwise modify your headstock.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Does your Strat have sealed tuners or the Kluson style?
If they are the sealed kind you really should get the Fender Schaller tuners as they are a direct drop in and fit the dowel holes in the headstock for perfect alignment.
There really is no other choice if you have the sealed kind unless you are willing to drill holes or otherwise modify your headstock.
That’s not necessarily true.

Hipshot uses a mounting plate to align and secure the tuners. Graphtech used individual mounting plates. As long as the tuner holes in your headstock are 10mm, both brands will mount without any modification.

The Graphtech tuners have a 2-pin design, similar to Fender tuners, but the pins are in a different spot. The mounting plates have pins that align with the holes in the headstock, and holes in the plate that align with the pins in the tuners.

We had a discussion about this in a different thread a couple months ago; might have been in the buy and sell section.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
In this day and age, pretty much any locking tuner is going to be fine.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
They all may be fine but I guess I just like the Schallers for a Strat.

I actually like the PRS ones the best but I doubt they'd work well on a Strat.
Probably wrong hole sizes I imagine, they looked small.
Definitely an issue going from V6 to inline 6.
When I owned a PRS I was quite impressed by the simplicity and the elegance and the functionality and the fool-proofness of their design.
They seemed so simple and effective and so perfect.
That could well be the one thing I miss most.
Oh, and the pots.
Great tapers.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
I’ve used Sperzels, Schallers and still have a set of whatever PRS used on my CU22.

The thing is, if you use the mandolin method of restringing, pretty much ANY tuning peg will hold perfectly. I think Laristotle has a nice graphic showing the knot.

If a guitar comes with locking tuners, I’m ok with that, but I’ve found they have no impact whatsoever above and beyond what the mandolin method provides.

Just my opinion of course.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
@BMW-KTM - Gotoh makes (used to make?) a lockijg tuner that is very similar to the PRS style; there is no lockijg wheel on the back. I’ve used these on a few builds in the past. Slight modification would be needed for a Strat retrofit as the Gotohs have a 45 degree set screw. They were ok, but I always found them trickier to use than ones with the lock wheel, especially when doing an initial set up on a new guitar.

@Milkman - you are absolutely right, locking tuners offer nothing more in the way of tuning stability over regular tuners. The advantage is that string changes are faster with lockijg tuners.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
@BMW-KTM - Gotoh makes (used to make?) a lockijg tuner that is very similar to the PRS style; there is no lockijg wheel on the back. I’ve used these on a few builds in the past. Slight modification would be needed for a Strat retrofit as the Gotohs have a 45 degree set screw. They were ok, but I always found them trickier to use than ones with the lock wheel, especially when doing an initial set up on a new guitar.

@Milkman - you are absolutely right, locking tuners offer nothing more in the way of tuning stability over regular tuners. The advantage is that string changes are faster with lockijg tuners.
After decades of changing strings (and when I’m playing I change them a LOT) there’s no difference. It’s as fast or so close as to be inconsequential.

And, lockers are often heavy. In some guitars it’s enough to affect the balance, so unless they’re on there when I get it, I don’t use them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts