The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is looking for a decent guitar amp. Mostly rhythm in a rock band. He has never played electric but is an accomplished acoustic/piano/vocalist.

I know nothing about guitar, but love the sound of a crunchy tube amp. I was thinking of stearing him towards a Traynor tube amp (40W, 50W) since I'm quite a fan of the Yorkville bass gear.

I have heard already that these are great amps. Good choice? Something else worth looking at? What would one of these Traynor's cost new? $500, $1000? I really have no idea and have never paid attention to guitar amps when I'm in the shops.

thanks for your help,
james

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Traynors as far as new 'mass produced amps'. Obviously can get better quality paying $2000 for something boutique, but I think the Traynors are the best amp in their price range.

I think the sticker price on them is more like $750 (haven't checked lately). Buying new you get the 2 year 'even if you break it' warranty though. You can get great deals on used ones for half of that though, and the warranty is transferable if the amp is still under the warranty.

The YCV40WR or the YCV 50blue are good ones to look at.

Another great value are the Peavey Classic amps. You can get amazing deals on them used as well. I personally think the Peavey's have a 'better' gain channel. But that is personally taste.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts