The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...i have decided to try going in a new direction.

for the past dozen years, my m.o. has been using a clean tube amp as a foundation for o/d pedals, with the effects running through the loop.

in other words, i have been playing the pedals.

i want to get back to playing the amp.

i got into playing the pedals, because cranking a 50-100 watt tube amp is no longer an option.

i'm thinking of a 15-20 watt tube combo (probably with an extension cab). it will have to have ample clean headroom with a pleasing breakup that can be pushed with pick attack and guitar volume. it would be great if the amp had a little personality and character of its own. i think an effects loop would be essential.

if that works, i'm thinking of ditching the pedal board in favour of one of those multi-fx devices like the tonelab or xt live, since my tone would come from the guitar plus amp, and i could use the tonelab or xt live for its effects, and use the amp models and distortions sparingly, to push the tube amp into new territory.

these days i am learning to enjoy playing a lot cleaner, so i'm finding the overdrives and distortions just don't inspire me like they used to.

i'd rather not spend three grand on a boutique amp if something along the lines of a peavey classic thirty does the trick.

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
...i have decided to try going in a new direction.

for the past dozen years, my m.o. has been using a clean tube amp as a foundation for o/d pedals, with the effects running through the loop.

in other words, i have been playing the pedals.

i want to get back to playing the amp.

i got into playing the pedals, because cranking a 50-100 watt tube amp is no longer an option.

i'm thinking of a 15-20 watt tube combo (probably with an extension cab). it will have to have ample clean headroom with a pleasing breakup that can be pushed with pick attack and guitar volume. it would be great if the amp had a little personality and character of its own. i think an effects loop would be essential.

if that works, i'm thinking of ditching the pedal board in favour of one of those multi-fx devices like the tonelab or xt live, since my tone would come from the guitar plus amp, and i could use the tonelab or xt live for its effects, and use the amp models and distortions sparingly, to push the tube amp into new territory.

these days i am learning to enjoy playing a lot cleaner, so i'm finding the overdrives and distortions just don't inspire me like they used to.

i'd rather not spend three grand on a boutique amp if something along the lines of a peavey classic thirty does the trick.

-dh
David, perhaps I could build you one?

You've already established credit with me from all the years of listening to your great music! So I could work in a good discount!

And maybe you could be good enough to sign some of my AW vinyl...:smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
And I may have the multi-fx unit you seek...

pm me for more details if this intrigues you...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The most versatile, great sounding club amp I ever used was a Rivera R-30.

You can find them used in the $600 range. Absolutely awesome amp for low money. Boutique quality at middle of the road prices.

As for pedals, I still think individual pedals is the way to go. I think it's better to have 2 or 3 great sounds, than 128 mediocre sounds. I haven't heard a multi-fx pedal that sounds as good as the great boutique gear out there. (And with the number of great manufacturers of pedals, you can usually find what you're looking for on ebay for low bucks these days).

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
hm. traynor YCV20blue and YCV20 line come to mind instantaneously.

orange tiny terror? laney lionheart? crate palomino? epiphone valve standard?

i'd look into those ones at least

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Fargen Miniplex is worth checking out.Mine's pre MarkII with a tube rectifier(essensial with this amp IMO).12 watts IS loud enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently purchased ( and have since sold) a Peavey Classic 50. Based on the time I spent with the Classic 50 I'd bet that this series of amps would be very acceptable for gigging. Provided your looking for that EL 84 flavour and don't mind the somewhat compressed nature of these amps. The Fender Hot Rods are another affordable alternative but the only strong sound IMO is the clean which sounds like your moving away from that direction. Of course if Wild Bill could build build something tailored to your tastes that sound pretty appealing.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts

You've already established credit with me from all the years of listening to your great music! So I could work in a good discount!

And we need further discussion:)

I sold my distooortion pedals years ago.

The Ampeg amp that Paul S has is pretty dang sweet too. It still makes me turn my head even after a year of playing with him.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...i would definitely be interested, bill.

i do realize that it can get expensive. my brother and his former bassist have been doing some amp building. they were blown away by the cost of quality electronics.

it becomes a question of, will i be happy with a peavey classic 30 or traynor ycv20blue at, say $400, or even a rivera at $600-800, versus a grand or more for a custom build?

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The most versatile, great sounding club amp I ever used was a Rivera R-30.

You can find them used in the $600 range. Absolutely awesome amp for low money. Boutique quality at middle of the road prices.

As for pedals, I still think individual pedals is the way to go. I think it's better to have 2 or 3 great sounds, than 128 mediocre sounds. I haven't heard a multi-fx pedal that sounds as good as the great boutique gear out there. (And with the number of great manufacturers of pedals, you can usually find what you're looking for on ebay for low bucks these days).

...i think rivera should be at the top of my list.

i basically agree with you re "128 mediocre sounds". my first experience with digital modelling a nightmare (line six flextone).

but, a lot of players are happy with the progress that has been made with units like the tonelab series.

factor in that i will be primarily relying on the sound of the guitar + amp, and a tonelab or similar device might work for me.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hm. traynor YCV20blue and YCV20 line come to mind instantaneously.
orange tiny terror? laney lionheart? crate palomino? epiphone valve standard?
i'd look into those ones at least

...the ycv20blue comes highly recommended. i wonder why they stopped making that particular model?

the ycv20wr, not so much.

laney? perhaps...the crate palimino...perhaps.

a lot depends on clean headroom, especially in the low end. i played through a 15-watt blues junior for five years and could never get anything resembling low end out of the thing.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recently purchased ( and have since sold) a Peavey Classic 50. Based on the time I spent with the Classic 50 I'd bet that this series of amps would be very acceptable for gigging. Provided your looking for that EL 84 flavour and don't mind the somewhat compressed nature of these amps. The Fender Hot Rods are another affordable alternative but the only strong sound IMO is the clean which sounds like your moving away from that direction. Of course if Wild Bill could build build something tailored to your tastes that sound pretty appealing.
...i owned a hot rod deluxe years ago. the traynor ycv40wr i have now is far superior.

the low-priced amp that intrigues me the most is defintely the peavey classic 30. it could be "the one".

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
...i would definitely be interested, bill.

i do realize that it can get expensive. my brother and his former bassist have been doing some amp building. they were blown away by the cost of quality electronics.

it becomes a question of, will i be happy with a peavey classic 30 or traynor ycv20blue at, say $400, or even a rivera at $600-800, versus a grand or more for a custom build?

-dh
There are ways I can cut the cost some, David. I have a good stock of scrounged transformers, which are perhaps the most expensive parts. I have a BIG inventory of NOS and pulled tubes, and a tube tester to ensure that they are still ok. The big thing is always the labour and I would consider this a special project.

Most fans rip off your music by pirate downloading! I wouldn't mind building you a great deal of an amp instead!

A credit on the next CD is worth something to me as well. And you're talking a lower powered amp. I have some salvaged old Alnico speakers I've been saving as well. I could get big bucks on Ebay for them or I could put them into an amp that I would be proud for you to play!

PM me if you're interested. This is the sort of project that I enjoy. I don't do a standard line of amps. Every project of mine is a "one-of" that I try to tailor to the individual player. They all look different and they all sound different. I'm not interested in "mass production". If someone wants that they can go to China and get what they deserve!:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
if you think the classic 30 might be "the one", then grab yer axe and try one out.

the crunch channel of the JSX is supposed to be a modded version of a peavey classic 50 designed to suit satch's taste.. i could LIVE on that channel lol. but i dont.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...i'm intrigued, bill. i'll send you a pm.

another way to keep costs down might be to make a head only, with no reverb. i could shop around for a 2-12 cab.

will an effects loop complicate things uneccessarily?

i'm thinking 15-20 watts, lots of clean headroom - expecially in the bass frequencies - and bass, mid and treble controls.

-dh

There are ways I can cut the cost some, David. I have a good stock of scrounged transformers, which are perhaps the most expensive parts. I have a BIG inventory of NOS and pulled tubes, and a tube tester to ensure that they are still ok. The big thing is always the labour and I would consider this a special project.

Most fans rip off your music by pirate downloading! I wouldn't mind building you a great deal of an amp instead!

A credit on the next CD is worth something to me as well. And you're talking a lower powered amp. I have some salvaged old Alnico speakers I've been saving as well. I could get big bucks on Ebay for them or I could put them into an amp that I would be proud for you to play!

PM me if you're interested. This is the sort of project that I enjoy. I don't do a standard line of amps. Every project of mine is a "one-of" that I try to tailor to the individual player. They all look different and they all sound different. I'm not interested in "mass production". If someone wants that they can go to China and get what they deserve!:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
15-20W with lots of clean headroom, eh?

use KT88's? i dunno :p, i just know that lower wattage usually means less headroom (orange measures their wattages at when the amp is still clean. the tiny terror is 15W clean)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
boogie. go boogie. you can pick up older ones for under a grand. If you want that big fat fender, but with a lead tone...yowza

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
boogie. go boogie. you can pick up older ones for under a grand. If you want that big fat fender, but with a lead tone...yowza
...i have tried, many times, to find some love for boogies. i have been disappointed every time. i do realize they are for tweakers, and i consider myself a tweaker, but i have never been able to get them to work for me.

that said, i have never tried them on stage, only in the studio and on the showroom floor.

-dh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts