The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still undecided on the guard but getting closer. I had a vision of a Les Paul Tele so I thought the vintage cream would be best but I also thought the parchment would be awesome. now I'm really digging the black but have too many black pickguard guitars and the cream is looking good again. I'm torn. first picture is a paper template and the wining guard gets a trim to match it so I only want to trim once. thoughts and votes?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
@vadsy , I just got heap of black 3 ply, want one to cut to make like the cream LP style you have in the first picture?
Shoot me your address in the PM if you want one.

Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@vadsy , I just got heap of black 3 ply, want one to cut to make like the cream LP style you have in the first picture?
Shoot me your address in the PM if you want one.
I greatly appreciate the offer but I actually have a couple of extra black guards myself, some are begging to be hacked up as they're already wrecked.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is a guard necessary? I’m thinking let all that beautiful wood show.
it does need a guard otherwise its just too much wood showing, this kind of breaks it up a bit, adds some contrast and a slightly unique look. I also wanted to create something with a nod to the Les Paul and Firebird, the guard is a part of that.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Black,... or no pick guard

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I like where you’re going with the first one. Maybe extend it farther down the control plate and under the strings.
Another neat trick a local guy does is use vintage license plates for the pickguard.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'd go with black

but I'd also consider putting a curved piece on the bass side as well, to match

plus it will protect the raised wood from getting chewed up on that edge, from picks etc

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts