The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...so I am going nuts. I went and looked at the 2000 Lexus today, and it was pretty sweet.
The Nakamichi stereo was probably the best I have ever in a car.
I just can't bring myself to spend 6k on a 17 year old car.
So....here's my criteria.
Comfort.
More comfort.
Quiet.
Peppy (No Caddilacs, sorry)
Preferably under 200,000 km.
Any ideas? I have driven Toyota's for the last 20 years.
No Honda's or Subaru's or Mazda's please.
I was maybe even of thinking about a higher end Hyundai as they are supposed to be pretty good.
I'm in Montreal, so feel free to point out ads on Kijiji Montreal.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I've been driving Volvos for decades (I've had five). Current ride is a wagon with turbo, and it's surprisingly peppy for such a heavy car. Comfortable too.
This was 10 years old when I bought it for $6300 with 110,000 kms. I expect to get close to 500,000 kms without major work. The used ones can be very reasonably priced, and in general are very reliable.

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
Hey there...so I am going nuts. I went and looked at the 2000 Lexus today, and it was pretty sweet.
The Nakamichi stereo was probably the best I have ever in a car.
I just can't bring myself to spend 6k on a 17 year old car.
So....here's my criteria.
Comfort.
More comfort.
Quiet.
Peppy (No Caddilacs, sorry)
Preferably under 200,000 km.
Any ideas? I have driven Toyota's for the last 20 years.
No Honda's or Subaru's or Mazda's please.
I was maybe even of thinking about a higher end Hyundai as they are supposed to be pretty good.
I'm in Montreal, so feel free to point out ads on Kijiji Montreal.
Cheers!
lol...640hp not enough for you?
2017 Cadillac CTS-V Reviews and Rating | Motor Trend

why no Hondas or Subarus, but yes to Hyundai and Toyota??
of those 4, id rank Honda=Toyota, followed by Subaru, followed by Hyundai which is about equal to Mazda.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
why no Hondas or Subarus, but yes to Hyundai and Toyota??
of those 4, id rank Honda=Toyota, followed by Subaru, followed by Hyundai which is about equal to Mazda.
Agree 1000%. Why limit yourself so drastically when looking for a used car? Some people (especially those without Y chromosomes) will miss a great used car because "it's not the right color". If you want a good deal, open your options. IMO.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well..I know Toyota, and want something more luxury like a Lexus. I'm not going to get into why I don't want other brands, I'm looking for suggestions from others who have maybe had cars of a similar value.

·
Premium Member
18,191 Posts
Sounds like an '08-'10 Kia or Hyundai in that budget. Gonna be on the higher mileage side at $6K unless you find a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
living in Montreal I wouldnt even think of buying a car, you need some serious ground clearance for the pot holes (I've seen some that would eat the tire off a civic or corolla) and I prefer a 4 wheel drive or an all wheel drive vehicle. When I lived there I drove a '99 4runner. Lazy? don't feel like shovelling the snow at the end of the driveway? Just take a good run at it:D. I only ended up drifting into the bushes once lol.

I just retired that toyota and picked up a '04 BMW X5, nice ride and was well under your budget. I have buddies that can fix em though. I liked the toyota because I could fix it, and it drove like a champ through just about everything. HNG^%$

Other small SUV's like the santa fe, acura mdx, MB m350, lincoln ?? (same as the ford edge), Rav4 or CRV (may attract soccer moms). My mom has a subaru forester, she loves it, I hate it but its a decent car. She also had an outback (2004? P.O.S. imo) and an '08 Impreza (f'n awesome on dirt/gravel but not enough clearance for lots of snow).

Expect slightly higher repair bills with subaru and luxury vehicles.

There were a bunch of big car auctions around Deux montagnes/St. Eustache, should be able to find something up there. I noticed vehicles depreciated much quicker there compared to Ontario and lots of deals to be had.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
For fun I did a Kijiji search for cars in the $5000-6000.00 range and there were lots with well under 100K. Some had only 60,000km.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts