The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got an electric guitar as a gift from my grandmother it is used and needs repairs i have been told it is fairly old and worth a bit of money it says northern at the top of the gutiar and has maple leafs painted on the fretboard their a four on the lower right of the guitar face and a rythm/treble switch in the upper right it has a gold finish on the face with cream and black stipes around the edge of the face as the edging it has a black finish around the side im not sure what else i would need to describe to help with identification
yes this is a badly written paragraph because i dont believe in punctuation
yes i am brand new to the guitaring world for my wholde life i have only played drums
i would greatly aprreciate any ones help
and if you need more information about it to identify the make etc i will do my best
i hope this covered all the bases

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
duh... how about a pic that would help....:D sorry hadn't checked out link above... duh. Anyway it looks cool, I rememeber that name but nothing that fancy. Seems to me they had a bunch of clones on the market for a while.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Pictures please!. If you don't know how, have someone show you. It is a very important part about gear on forums and the internet. I hate to be so cliche, but a picture is worth a thousand,......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the help my digital camera is not the greatest but i will take a pic tommorow hopefully its not in the greatest shape unfortunatly i found out it belonged to a high school at one point probably where most of the damage came from like i said hopefully ill grab some pics tommorow

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm thinking of two words: Spell Check.:redface:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lester B. Flat said:
I remember seeing Northern LP clones in a natural maple finish. I always thought they were Canadian made but they might have been Japanese and aimed at the Canadian market. Don't remember seeing a goldtop though. Photos?
I had one in the mid 80's... natural maple body, neck and fret board.. inlays were black maple leafs.. sold it and bought a real LP... sold it and....

alas, I'm a bass player.. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have never personally encountered one of these guitars. But I have heard some good thing, not many, but a few. For a Hand-Me-Down I would keep it. My frist guitar was something like an old Beringer. Pickups barely worked, but I kept playing it and tweaking with it. Eventually I got to the point I am at now. 7 years later and I still have that guitar. Mostly Sentimental because my grandpa gave it to me. And he used to play in an old Military band when he was not working, but he recently passed, so it is kept for sentimental value.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Songbird Music currently has one listed on their website (Toronto location). They mention "Northern" as the Canadian importer and that it might have been made in the Hondo factory - ahh, Hondo, my first electric guitar, a Strat clone ;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Back in the late 70's early 80's a guitarist in a band I was in had a northern les paul copy. He also had an El Degas. Both set necks, both pretty decent guitars. They were almost identical to each other in looks etc. He bought them both from a music store in Winnipeg, both brand new. I think he got the El Degas first then a year or so later the Northern. Don't know if this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts