The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, oh please, GC fellows, help me find the name of that "hook" that helds my speakers in place!

I need buy some missing ones but I can't find them anywhere. If I had the exact name of the part that would help.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Audio equipment Loudspeaker Subwoofer Electronics Computer speaker

·
Premium Member
19,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
"speaker clamps"
McBride SC-1 - Free Shipping Across Canada over $150

the following might also work as they look the similar to the ones you have ...

McBride GC-1 - Free Shipping Across Canada over $150

or possibly

McBride GC-2 - Free Shipping Across Canada over $150

If you phone, ask for Terry. Wonderful folks there.

If shipping is a standard amount and is expensive, let me know and I'll get them for you and ship at the best rate I can get at Canada Post.

Cheers

Dave
lol we must have been typing at the same time ;)

·
Premium Member
19,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Also known as (speaker) grille clamps (not to be confused with the shitty plastic ones). I have some. Most local places only stock the plastic ones. You can also get them in kit packs of 4 with bolts and T nuts, if you need the hardware.

Truth be told, these are best used for securing waffle grilles and not the actual speaker itself. You'd be best served modding the cab with proper screw holes and T Nuts to line up with the mounting holes of the speaker.

·
Premium Member
19,083 Posts
Truth be told, these are best used for securing waffle grilles and not the actual speaker itself.
SC-1 are specifically for speakers (see post #3)

I just saw those this morning. Roland amps used a very similar product in the past. I think have 4 kicking around if you want them. I'll have a look to be sure.

EDIT: I do have 4 of them. However, they won't work on a baffle much over 1/2" thick

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,995 Posts
I just saw those this morning. Roland amps used a very similar product in the past. I think have 4 kicking around if you want them. I'll have a look to be sure.

EDIT: I do have 4 of them. However, they won't work on a baffle much over 1/2" thick
Was notified about this post to comment. Just to clarify. The ones we offer are good for baffles up to 3/4" thick. Have a great weekend all!

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Never used those, but anything without a captive nut will be a bit more of a pain (screwdriver + wrench to hold the nut while you turn vs just screwdriver).

Regular bolts/machine screws and matching thread/size T nuts like this guy:

(get them at any local Crappy Tire, Home Despot, Home Hardware etc).

Reactions: greco

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,995 Posts
Never used those, but anything without a captive nut will be a bit more of a pain (screwdriver + wrench to hold the nut while you turn.....
Not in this case...

HOW SPEAKER STUDS WORK
A speaker stud has two sets of threading. One for the nut, and a larger section (in the reverse direction) for the wood. You drill through the wood so the larger threads will grab the wood. It screws into the wood counterclockwise (the opposite way that you normally screw things in). The threads that protrude through the other side are in the opposite direction (the normal way). For that reason, tightening the nut on the opposite side cannot cause the issue with the screw turning as you would normally experience with just a standard screw and nut. Thus, no need for a screwdriver + wrench. Just tighten the nut.

The nut (called a "keps" nut) is also interesting. It is a nut with a built-in lock washer that rotates independantly. As you tighten the nut, the lock washer will grab the speaker basket, and you can continue to tighten the nut without the washer turning any more. It stops turning the moment it grabs. Further tightening of the nut only applies more downward pressure, so it won't tear/scrape/etc like it might if you were using a separate lock washer and nut. It is also a soft edged lock washer, not a sharp one. So, it won't scratch/scrape the basket. It barely marks the paint/powdercoat.

The primary disadvantage is that they can't be used for front mounting speakers.

To be clear, I am all for using tee nuts and machine screws. I prefer 10-32 with the appropriate length for your baffle. I've used and recommended them for years. Still do if you're looking for something you can pick up at a local hardware store. It'll run you $4-$5 ($0.35 each for tee nuts + $3 for the pack of screws).

Customers have asked us to offer "proper" speaker studs and keps nuts for a while. Having never tried them myself and being happy with screws/tee-nuts, I never bothered. However, I recently used them on a test cab and I'll never go back (unless I'm front-mounting).

Just wanted to clear up how they actually worked to avoid any misunderstanding/misinformation. Have an awesome weekend all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts