The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been playing this beautiful bass at home unplugged lately and now have the opportunity to use it in a ukulele band which plays various types of gigs; happy hour, birthdays, weddings, etc. There is an acoustic guitar player in the band, so having me switch from being a second guitar player to bass will bring a much needed bottom end to the band as well as giving the ukes more sonic space. So for mic’d gigs, I need an amp. I don’t want low end with bells and whistles like overdrive channel. I want quality; quality build, quality sound, simplistic minimalist controls, and light weight. Considering the Trace Elliot Elf and a cabinet.

Can you make any recommendations for an amp in a similar price range (<$1000 CDN) to help me bring this beauty to life? Thanks, and thank you @Lola for her encouragement for me to get out there!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Markbass, Gallien Krueger, Traynor/Yorkville

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
The Elf is a great little amp but I don't think it has an aux input , that would allow you to plug in a phone or tablet . GK make one about that size , the MB200 that does .

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Hard to beat the Fender Rumble series. Fantastic tones as most of them (40 watts and above) share the same pre-amp section, what changes is the output section. Fair pricing, classic looks in well-proportioned, relatively easy to carry combos. They do have an overdrive channel with gain and volume knobs... I just keep them at zero and use this channel as a quick "mute" button. So even this extra has a simple use. That's a great looking bass. Let us know what you end up with.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Yorkville Bassmaster XM50, used, if you can find one. 50 watts, 1 x 10, XLR line out, built like a tank but easy to carry. It's been my main amp for years, I even had a second one for a while which I donated.

I tried one of these a while back and had major fun:

SB106 – Traynor Amps

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Shame you just missed "1/2 price rental day" @l&m, could have tried them out for a cheap month.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Ok... well i cant help out since all the amps that I love are over 50lbs just for the heads and 100lbs for the cabs ! :confused:

Bass playing certainly has changed ...

·
Premium Member
12,024 Posts
That Phil Jones and Ampeg are overkill. I'd go with one of Geddy's chicken amps.

Lots loud enough for a big ukulele orchestra - and hey, winner winner chicken dinner when you're done playing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts