The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just had my birthday, and my thoughts are turning to my birthday next year, as it's the big 4-0. I'd quite like to get a guitar from the year I was born (stunningly original idea, I know).

There is an issue though. I don't want to drop three or four grand on it because, frankly, I don't think I play enough to justify it. I think I can justify 1500, maybe 2k. That pretty much rules out Fender or Gibson. '79 wasn't exactly their heyday anyway, so I don't mind.

I was thinking of a Japanese guitar from that era, and have seen a few Grecos pop up in my price range. I like a variety of guitars, so I'm not locked in to an LP copy or anything. My only thing is I'm not big on trems, so it would have to be something pretty special to tempt me to get anything strat-like.

So, with those requirements in mind, any ideas? It's a year before the big day, so I can be picky!

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
I had a '78 Greco EG900, it was a great guitar.
The only reason it went was because of the slimmer neck.

There's a few afficionados in the forum on MIJ units, maybe they'll chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
That is actually pretty easy to find, but might take a little prep work, or learning on your part to verify the year. The Japanese guitars can be affordable, or in some situations starting to gain a following that dictates a higher price at times. Buying from someone who doesn’t know what they have, and you do, can save you money.

I can’t afford a quality birth year guitar. Even player grade is cost prohibitive. I decided to buy the kind of guitar that I might have learned on instead. In my case, a ‘68 Fender Bronco, player grade, from a pawnshop. I saved a thousand dollars by being patient and waiting for the drop from asking price, to what was my offer to buy price.

You might be able to swing for a player grade SG, or Fender.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Reactions: TA462

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the 2k would be a pretty hard limit. I love some of the slightly different suggestions here though! I've seen an Ibanez Artist near me, I'd just have to ignore that weird bridge plate.

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
Peavey T-60s have a brilliant tone control that pans continuously from single coil, through fullbucker, to humbucker with treble cut. People who own them love them.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
you could get an amazing MIJ guitar in that price range but trying to verify the year is a lot harder. IIRC most of the really good makers did not include serial numbers. Burny for example. Not sure about Greco or Tokai.

Actually, go on ebay and pick musical instruments as category and type 1979 Japan. TONS of of beauties under 1200

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
As one who played 1979 Strats in 1979, calling them "vintage" makes me feel old. :) And in all honesty I don't get the 70's Strat craze. Not exactly a shining period in Fender's history.
I’m a ‘72 & have been looking for a good 70s Strat for years. Still looking.

Recently went to the 12th Fret as they had several in stock. The best of the bunch was on par with my ‘06 Hwy 1. I left with a brown Super that had just hit the floor.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
$2500 seems a lot high.
That is just his asking price. Not advocating for that particular guitar it was just an example.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
As one who played 1979 Strats in 1979, calling them "vintage" makes me feel old. :) And in all honesty I don't get the 70's Strat craze. Not exactly a shining period in Fender's history.
I hear you, where did the last 40 years go?

I think it is because they are affordable and there are a lot of them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts