The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of getting myself a decent acoustic. I haven't played one since I was 13. The only one I have is my first one, a hand me down. From my dad, an 81 Yamaha FG335ii. And it's seen better days, but sounds great.
I'd like to get something in approximately the 3k or less range. I like a 000 size, and prefer a cutout(sorry if my knowledge of terms on acoustics is lacking). It's mainly for aging at home, or with friends at gatherings or whatever. I do like my guitars a little fancier, so binding, inlays, nice wood etc are what I love, but of course I don't need all of them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I would add Martin to all the good ideas already submitted by other members.
But not much bling under 3000$CAD, unless you find a used one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you able to make a day trip somewhere where you can visit a few stores that have nice acoustics and try them out? You'll never know what might grab your attention. Taylor, Martin, and Larrivee all make great guitars and the sound and feel different so best to put your hands on some before spending $3k.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Folkway in Kitchener carries high end stuff.
Sherwood Music, also in Kitchener, has a nice acoustic room with quality stuff.
@greco can elaborate more to this.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Theres a nice little 00016GT Martin for sale here on the forum with a K+K Pure mini pickup installed. Great bang for the buck. Hard to beat the price.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,545 Posts
D18. 2012 version.
Might find one for 2k used these days.

The Arts in Newmarket has a nice acoustic room; I got an HD28V from them. Cosmo usually has good stuff too although stock is low all over due to the 19 and supply problems.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,545 Posts
Have you been to The Guitar Shop on Lakeshore? Huge acoustic selection in a separate, climate controlled room.
That's where I got my 2012 D18 pretty much about this time ten years ago. When I got it home I did the TR and took a bit off the saddle haven't needed to adjust it since. Always had 13s on it no issues and those guitars sell used now for more than I paid for mine new. Put a K&K in it and it's been a great dependable do it all guitar.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taylor would probably have something in that range with cutaway and they are nice to play.
Cool,
Have you been to The Guitar Shop on Lakeshore? Huge acoustic selection in a separate, climate controlled room.
Yeah I live right there, but I've only ever shopped for electrics there. I was going to check them out tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not set on a budget, if I like something for more or less, that's fine. 3k is just a ballpark budget. I'm going to check a few shops this weekend and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Long & McQuade has some sort of Taylor promo on their website, as well. I haven’t played one in a while, but one thing I remember is the playability is really nice, especially coming from electric. Something in the 300 or above series will get you a really nice guitar. The models that end in 2 are “concert” size and the ones that end in 4 are “auditorium”, which are a bit bigger, but still comfortable to play with the body shape they use.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Long & McQuade has some sort of Taylor promo on their website, as well. I haven’t played one in a while, but one thing I remember is the playability is really nice, especially coming from electric. Something in the 300 or above series will get you a really nice guitar. The models that end in 2 are “concert” size and the ones that end in 4 are “auditorium”, which are a bit bigger, but still comfortable to play with the body shape they use.
Cool, I like the Taylor's I've been looking at. The Taylor promo was a few months ago at L&M when they had 12mos/0% interest. This month they have 6mos/0% on everything, and this Saturday is 12mos/0% on Canadian made gear. I'm not looking to finance though. Thanks for the info, I'll be looking for the concert size I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
It’s this one that I saw. So if you buy a nice one, you get a discount on their mini/travel guitars. Not really relevant unless you go for both lol
Guitar accessory Guitar Font Musical instrument String instrument accessory

1 - 20 of 28 Posts