The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just acquired this pickup. I was told that it was coming from a "1994 Gibson Flying V", that's it. No specific model.

I didn't see the point in ripping the tape to show the magnet but I can tell you the magnet is quite thick, 5mm height. Output 12.12k.

Any help is appreciated in identifying this pup to find the right guitar it's going to be put in (I don't own Gibson guitars unfortunately.. At least not yet!)

Thank you!

Circuit component Electronic component Audio equipment Gadget Cable

Font Wood Auto part Metal Automotive exterior

Circuit component Wood Gadget Rectangle Audio equipment

Calipers Wood Ruler Passive circuit component Circuit component

Measuring instrument Gauge Wood Gadget Audio equipment

· Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Yup, really seems to be a 500T with the two small magnets on the sides as spacers. Thank you!
Well then someone has already done half of the work for you…
Pulling it out.

Now all you need to do is find a good replacement. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JivRey

· Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I don't know anything about Gibson pickups and for $60 I thought I'd give it a try anyway, not even knowing what it. was :p
They're not wonderful sounding. Speaking only for myself, it is the only set of Gibson pickups that I actively avoid. It might be suitable for high gain in a bridge. But worth $60 surely so you probably did ok (sell it).

· Premium Member
4,549 Posts
To be honest, 12.1k sounds a bit too low to be a 500T. They generally measure in the 14k to 15k range. A 498T would fall in the 12k range.

The 500 would have ceramic magnets while the 498 would be alnico. Can you tell which it is?

EDIT: Fixed the autocorrect from “albino” to “alnico”.

· Premium Member
5,652 Posts
To be honest, 12.1k sounds a bit too low to be a 500T. They generally measure in the 14k to 15k range. A 498T would fall in the 12k range.

The 500 would have ceramic magnets while the 498 would be albino. Can you tell which it is?
More likely the 496R if it came out of a '94 Flying V. I wish Gibson would just label the things - the purists could peel it off and leave the mystical "pattent applied for" tag.

Reactions: dwagar and JivRey

· Premium Member
4,549 Posts
On the underside, treble pickups have the protruding screws under the Gibson USA logo while rhythm pickups have them above. This is a bridge pickup measuring 12k. Not much falls into that range other than a 498T.

To confirm bridge vs neck, the centre-to-centre screw spacing on the bridge pickup should be around 50mm and the neck would be around 47mm.

But again, it all comes down to the magnets to solve the mystery.

· Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To confirm bridge vs neck, the centre-to-centre screw spacing on the bridge pickup should be around 50mm and the neck would be around 47mm.

Centre-to-centre is 52mm so it is a bridge pickup. As for the magnet, I don't really have any way to say what it is other than it really seem to be one magnet in the middle and two small ones on the side, like the 500T.

I always thought (Though I have no idea if it's really true) that if you throw pickups in a drawer and they are against each other that they can like demagnetize. I don't even know if it make sense else a Humbucker would automatically demagnetize over time?

· Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a "modder" at all and whatever comes in any particular guitar is fine by me. I just tweak my settings and I'm usually able to get something cool sounding out of it...

...except those damn ceramic pickups. I really tried to get along with them in my LP Classic but in the end, I just pulled them, replaced them with some VooDoo '59s and never looked back.

· Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
337 Posts

The 500 would have ceramic magnets while the 498 would be alnico. Can you tell which it is?

I'm curious. How do you tell a ceramic from an Alnico magnet by looking at it?

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

· Premium Member
5,652 Posts

· Premium Member
23,016 Posts

Too bad. For a minute there I thought the OP had one of the ultra rare Johnny Winter humbuckers.

· Registered
556 Posts
On the underside, treble pickups have the protruding screws under the Gibson USA logo while rhythm pickups have them above. This is a bridge pickup measuring 12k. Not much falls into that range other than a 498T.

+1, fits the 498T. I have that pickup in a couple of Studios an I'm a fan. Great for hard rock/metal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts