The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a specific kind of pick and am wondering if anyone here has stumbled across what I am looking for.

I am currently using the Dunlop Pitch Black Jazz III picks (pictured below...exactly the same as the larger Pitch Black tortex picks, but in the smaller jazz size) in .60 gauge and want something similar, but with a grippy surface like the Cat's Tongue picks. There is a Jazz III model with the grip, but those are thicker than I want and are made from a different material. I far prefer the thinner Pitch Black tortex style.

I could cut some sort of grip area into the picks that I have, but if such a thing exists it is just easier to buy them, so was wondering if anyone here had seen such a pick?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I have been recommending the Blue Chip picks since I got them 7 years ago or so now. If your issue is the grip, these picks literally sticks to your fingers even if it is smooth. I used the Jazz III picks for awhile until I found the BC picks. It is the same size, provides excellent tone and very durable. Yes it is expensive, $35US a piece, but I've not bought a pick in 7 years. You should really try at least one. I know of some folks here at GC who bought it and have been using these picks since.

This photo was from 3 years ago after I have been using the picks for 4 years. It has not changed a bit since.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
I didn't know you could get jazz III's in anything smaller than a 1.00mm!

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been recommending the Blue Chip picks since I got them 7 years ago or so now. If your issue is the grip, these picks literally sticks to your fingers even if it is smooth. I used the Jazz III picks for awhile until I found the BC picks. It is the same size, provides excellent tone and very durable. Yes it is expensive, $35US a piece, but I've not bought a pick in 7 years. You should really try at least one. I know of some folks here at GC who bought it and have been using these picks since.

This photo was from 3 years ago after I have been using the picks for 4 years. It has not changed a bit since.

They don't seem to have anything thinner than 2.0 gauge and I already have jazz picks that thick. I want something in the .60 gauge range.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know you could get jazz III's in anything smaller than a 1.00mm!

Yeah the tortex ones go all the way down to .50 gauge. Actually, I think they come in all the same gauges as the full size black tortex ones.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
They don't seem to have anything thinner than 2.0 gauge and I already have jazz picks that thick. I want something in the .60 gauge range.
The Jazz40 is 1.0mm thickness. Is that not enough?

Product Description
The Jazz pick is very similar in size and shape to the Dunlop Jazz 3. This is the Jazz in 40/1000 of an inch thickness.(1.0mm) All BlueChip Picks are professionally machined, hand beveled, and laser etched. This pick has a universal rounded bevel.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Jazz40 is 1.0mm thickness. Is that not enough?

Product Description
The Jazz pick is very similar in size and shape to the Dunlop Jazz 3. This is the Jazz in 40/1000 of an inch thickness.(1.0mm) All BlueChip Picks are professionally machined, hand beveled, and laser etched. This pick has a universal rounded bevel.

Unfortunately no, I want something thinner. Someone on another forum posted a link to a custom pick maker that offers what seems to be exactly the same thing as the tortex ones but with grip on at least one side. I would prefer grip on both sides, but can live with it on one side.

Here is the company, which seems to offer a few options (gauge, colour, etc.):

In Tune Guitar Picks: InTuneGP GrippX-XJb Jazz *Single Sided*

In Tune Guitar Picks: InTuneGP GrippX-XJ Jazz *Single Sided*

In Tune Guitar Picks: InTuneGP GrippX-XJw Jazz *Single Sided*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts