The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. Bought a used Peavey Delta Blues amp today. Sounds awesome however, when I turn it off it makes a weird fizzy noise like the last bits of air coming out of a deflating baloon? Sounds bizarre. The guy I bought it from said it was because the amp was not equipped with a standby switch.

Anyone know if this is true or is there something else wrong with the amp? If its only the lack of a standby switch, can I install one myself?

WildBill where are you???

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"I dunno! It was working when I started here!" - Beans Roontash

Howdy. Bought a used Peavey Delta Blues amp today. Sounds awesome however, when I turn it off it makes a weird fizzy noise like the last bits of air coming out of a deflating baloon? Sounds bizarre. The guy I bought it from said it was because the amp was not equipped with a standby switch.

Anyone know if this is true or is there something else wrong with the amp? If its only the lack of a standby switch, can I install one myself?

WildBill where are you???
Well, with no standby a bit of noise is normal. When you hit the off switch there's still energy stored in the power supply filter caps. The amp will drain that off, attempting to keep working as the heaters in the tubes cool.

That being said, it would be worthwhile if any other Delta Blues players could chime in with their experience. I've had a couple in for service and I never noticed an excessive amount of noise when you turned things off.

If the noise is truly excessive I'd be wondering if it's time for a cap job. How old is the amp? You may have one filter cap in the string gone open and the others are "propping it up". Or a number of things - I'm just guessing.

As for installing a standby switch, it's not that hard. Get a bigass switch from Home Depot and trace the negative end of the power diode bridge for the high voltage. Break the connection to ground and make it run through the switch.

Sounds easy but there's always a kicker. First off, the diodes are probably on the circuit board. You'll have to get under the board and cut the traces to block the ground connection. Major PITA.

As for the switch itself, the problem is drilling a hole and not making things ugly!:mad:

Me, I wouldn't do it at all. If the noise is normal I'd leave it. If it's excessive then I'd fix it. It doesn't make sense to ugly up an amp with an unnecessary standy switch instead of fixing the real problem.

Let's hear from some other user's first...

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I owned a DB for 3+ years (built in 2002) and never had a problem. You turned it off and it went click and then went silent with a little distortion along the way. Nothing too significantand it lasted for about a second.

What is the manufacture date? it should be on a plate on the back of the amp. Made in USA or off-shore?

From what I learned, these amps have gone through a few incarnations and the materials got cheaper and the design got harder to work on.
:smilie_flagge17:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts