The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an experimenting with an EV 12" subwoofer driver that i bought from member Marcos here on the forum.
I am thinking about a ported cab based on the EV TL-806 plans. I am thinking about rear porting the design to try and utilize walls or corners as reflective surfaces.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

P.S. thanks Marcos for a smooth transaction and a super speaker at a great price :)

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Rear porting + boundaries is not a good plan. I know people do it. I know actual name brand products put ports on the rear. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. That works (well) with horns only (because it increases the length, and therefore efficiency in the lowest registers, of the horn e.g. the corner horn as popular in Britain towards the end of the mono era). .... you can put any cab of any type (port, if applicable, on the front) with it's back up against a wall and get +6db more bass below the point where width (or shortest dimension of the baffle) = 1/8th the wavelegnth (for for an 18" wide baffle, reasonable for a 1x15) that would be 94 hz.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear porting + boundaries is not a good plan. I know people do it. I know actual name brand products put ports on the rear. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. That works (well) with horns only (because it increases the length, and therefore efficiency in the lowest registers, of the horn e.g. the corner horn as popular in Britain towards the end of the mono era). .... you can put any cab of any type (port, if applicable, on the front) with it's back up against a wall and get +6db more bass below the point where width (or shortest dimension of the baffle) = 1/8th the wavelegnth (for for an 18" wide baffle, reasonable for a 1x15) that would be 94 hz.
Thanks, any insight into the name brands that use rear porting.....i am going to dig into my library I think I still have the old "dope from hope"notes that klipsh used to issue.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Insight how? Mostly lower end boockshelf speakers (ironically,that should not be up against a wall on a bookshelf) and low end (small) subwoofers (sometimes down-firing).

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insight how? Mostly lower end boockshelf speakers (ironically,that should not be up against a wall on a bookshelf) and low end (small) subwoofers (sometimes down-firing).
i misunderstood. thought you were referring a commercial pa speaker.

the FRTL4 transmission line studio monitors on your website are very nice looking. i like the idea of the wants can spare list on your blog ....... i have a friend that says every guy should have a list like that on his beer fridge.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Some commercial subs are rear-ported too, like smaller portable ones (Yorkville and the like, vs perm install which are usually scoops) because they know they'll never be up against a wall (in front of the band) and that way the fronts look cleaner.

Thanks. I have a 12" version of that same design idea (minus the wall-hugging) that was designed as a dual use guitar bass cab. I actually built it first, ages ago, before the monitors. I love it and it does work well for both (depending on what drive unit you use). Currently I have a Marsland in there and it's my fave guitar cab. I had a JBL E140 in there at one point and that was great for bass (and guitar if you're into that; I found it a bit ice picky at the time).

I gotta update those dang lists.

Reactions: cbg1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts