The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a music fan for as long as I can remember, have been collecting music for 37 years in various formats, been going to concerts and gigs since my teen years, and have learned rudiments of music at various times in life on various instruments in school.

Almost 30 years ago I had started learning bass then life got in the way of that. Then about 2 years ago we got our then 12 year old to take guitar lessons due to a an injury, which led to him asking me to take lessons so we could practice together (which never really happened), then led to me getting hooked and him quitting. The process has been ongoing on and off over the last 18 months with me losing a couple of great teachers who moved away and then having an epiphany with my 4th teacher. I realized that one of the reasons I want to learn isn't just to pick up songs to play with friends, but to understand what I am playing an why. So the last 6 months or so have been back to basics with a professional musician friend of mine who plays bass and stick. He's setting me up with lessons designed to help me understand the fret board, understand the music that I am learning to play and the parameters within which I am playing and more importantly what lies outside the framework. We've done exercises like substituting notes in a chord one finger at a time, finding things that sound great and others that sound awful. This then comes back to theory to help explain why we got the result. The ultimate goal being that I can end up playing and improvising in any key called out by friends without being limited to patterns that I may have learned and never straying out of those.

Here is a picture of the current gear I have at my disposal.

Shown above are:
- Ibanez AM93 TRS semi hollow body
- Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Buterscotch Blonde with pine body
- Art & Luthery Folk Cedar
- Roland Cube 40GX with foot switch
- Fender Frontman 15G (got this free)
- Planet Waves tuner
- Tone City Sweet Cream boost pedal
- Tone City Summer Orange flanger

Been having a lot of fun learning and noodling and now reading this forum.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Southwest Ottawa technically as I am in Barrhaven. Thanks for the kind words of welcome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love that Tele
Funny that I hemmed and hahed on the purchase for my son. Debated a cheaper Squier, a slightly more expensive low end Fender or a mid-range Fender. Kind of glad I went with the Classic Vibe, although she's heavy and I can't imagine ever playing it standing up. :D

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Funny that I hemmed and hahed on the purchase for my son. Debated a cheaper Squier, a slightly more expensive low end Fender or a mid-range Fender. Kind of glad I went with the Classic Vibe, although she's heavy and I can't imagine ever playing it standing up. :D
I've heard those pine CV's are often heavy. It's too bad. My alder CVC is pretty light. Not as light as my Thinline, but not far off. About the same weight as my basswood Strat.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I've heard those pine CV's are often heavy. It's too bad. My alder CVC is pretty light. Not as light as my Thinline, but not far off. About the same weight as my basswood Strat.
Yep, those CV yellow pine body Tele's are heavy. My shoulder gets a good workout after a nights playing.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Yep, those CV yellow pine body Tele's are heavy. My shoulder gets a good workout after a nights playing.
I had a crazy heavy Baja body Partscaster that I had to let go. Baja 50's body with a CVC neck and noiseless pickups. Weighed in at 9.6lbs. I traded it for a Les Paul that weighed less.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts