The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot of threads here and what a great place!
I'm a rhythm player trying to get a band off the ground. We started off great but a few crack appeared and eventually had to look for a lead player and drummer.
Seems hard to find people that are honest about the music they want to play, get along and make a little effort so that rehearsals aren't used for learning songs. :)
The new lead and drummer are working well and hopefully this moves a bit faster. I've been playing with the bass and keyboards since March of last year. Great people.

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
A wee bit south of Calgary

Reactions: fnDan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of music do you play? A good buddy of mine teaches guitar in Okotoks.
It's a fairly big range as we try and work in everyone's tastes and influences. Some might think the range is too much but we think it'll be good to have choices depending on the venue, when we get to that point.
Our first lead guy was Jeff. He teaches here in Okotoks. Very talented and fun to play with. Great sense of humour but I don't think the timing was good for him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of the songs were working on are what I think are standards or pretty typical like Fast as You, Little Sister (Yoakam), You Wreck Me (Petty), Tumblin Dice. A couple of songs by the Black Keys.
Is there an existing thread for set lists? I'm always interested in what other bands have in their Setlist and find it helps me get away from my own little world of music and listen to songs I'd never find on my own.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a fairly big range as we try and work in everyone's tastes and influences. Some might think the range is too much but we think it'll be good to have choices depending on the venue, when we get to that point.
Our first lead guy was Jeff. He teaches here in Okotoks. Very talented and fun to play with. Great sense of humour but I don't think the timing was good for him.
Rob Stokes is my buddy's name. We did covers years back ranging from mellancamp to megadeth and the odd country time in the mix. Even James Brown and the proclaimers. A real mixed bag. He plays in church now days.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
Hi, Welcome...
SO what do you have store wise there?
Or do you drive into Calgary or online or some combination?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, Welcome...
SO what do you have store wise there?
Or do you drive into Calgary or online or some combination?
I usually drive into Calgary. I like supporting local though. There's a little shop in Okotoks that repairs violins. He stocks strings and I'll stop in there. There was an MCC in town but they did not have the best business practices IMO. High River had a music store before the floods as well. L&M is preferred.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob Stokes is my buddy's name. We did covers years back ranging from mellancamp to megadeth and the odd country time in the mix. Even James Brown and the proclaimers. A real mixed bag. He plays in church now days.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Good to know. I'll keep him in mind when I decide to take on lead parts. I've realized I need structure to learn lead.

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
I usually drive into Calgary. I like supporting local though. There's a little shop in Okotoks that repairs violins. He stocks strings and I'll stop in there. There was an MCC in town but they did not have the best business practices IMO. High River had a music store before the floods as well. L&M is preferred.
The MCC locations in other places (if they are still there) weren't that interesting to me.
I was in that High River store once--found a good price on some picks...

but it looked like a decent place.

It is good to support a local store when you can.
But yeah, figured at least some people in Okotoks would drive into Calgary

1 - 20 of 21 Posts