The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got news of this place from another member (Cocotone) at another guitar forum (www.fenderplayersforum.com)
It's cool to be able to meet some fellow Canadian guitar players.
I'm not much of a guitar "maniac" as I'm not into modding or technical at all about them. As long as they play nice, I don't have much of a preference.

Right now all I have is a Fender FatStrat with a Fender Blues Junior.
I used to play live a few times a year with a classic rock type cover band but that got folded last year.
So now I'm basically just participating in some other guitar forums that have a "jamzone" section where someone put up an original (most of the time anyway) backing track and people just jam over it and post their performances.
It's a cool way to keep the interest going.
You can hear the noise I've done so far at www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

See y'all in the sections of the forum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Boss.
Just don't expect too much when you get to hear my stuff.
I'm no pro here, just a weekend hacker wannabe guitar player. :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
hey cool one, welcome to the forums:wave:

·
Registered
627 Posts
TheTallCoolOne said:
Thanks for the welcome Boss.
Just don't expect too much when you get to hear my stuff.
I'm no pro here, just a weekend hacker wannabe guitar player. :D
Doesn't matter. We welcome everyone here!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. :wave:
Cocotone, thanks for driving me towards here. :thanks5qx:
DaveTcan, you knew about this place all along and never told me? :confused-smiley-010
I'm disappointed in you. :smilie_flagge17:
SCREEM, I'm in Montreal-Nord for now but I'll be moving in July most likely in the Anjou area, to get closer to my job.
How 'bout you?

·
Administrator
16,152 Posts
TheTallCoolOne said:
DaveTcan, you knew about this place all along and never told me? :confused-smiley-010
I'm disappointed in you. :smilie_flagge17:
duh!! I actually heard about it from Jeff on the LPF. I just figured you'd have seen it there. Are we missing anyone else???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
davetcan said:
duh!! I actually heard about it from Jeff on the LPF. I just figured you'd have seen it there. Are we missing anyone else???
Most of whom I know are either from US or abroad.
Not sure who else from CDN is left at either LPF or TFF.
I'm not participating much at LPF other than the jamzone so I wouldn't know much of its users.
From TFF, I can only think of NazzAreBlue (or some thing like that) that's from Calgary.
*EDITED: I just saw is introduction thread a few lines down before mine
Other than that I can only thing of Strat-Mangler, formely from TFF.
But he just started his own forum (www.fenderplayersforum.com) to provide a home for the dissidents from TFF, namely Tele-Bob, and all the others that were not please with some of the TFF mods decisions, or got canned from there.

I haven't seen a dedicated jamzone like section in here.
It would be fun to be able to jam between us canucks! :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
788 Posts
TheTallCoolOne said:
SCREEM, I'm in Montreal-Nord for now but I'll be moving in July most likely in the Anjou area, to get closer to my job.
How 'bout you?
I'm in St-Laurent...are you going to the MMMIS show in july? we could meet up an Andy's booth and check out the shur guitars and diezel amps :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SCREEM said:
I'm in St-Laurent...are you going to the MMMIS show in july? we could meet up an Andy's booth and check out the shur guitars and diezel amps :DevilGuitar:
My son is in St-Laurent too, near O'Brien and Henri-Bourassa.
But that could be Cartierville, I don't know.

Anyways, That'd be cool to go to, that MMMIS show.
When in July?
If I can, I'd sure like to meet up and go.
(if you're not embarassed to be seen with a geezer, that is. :) )

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marnacious said:
How did they set-up this JamZone?
Nothing special. It's just a section like any other but dedicated for the folks wanting to have a virtual jam with the others.
The LesPaul forum and the Fender forum provide some storage space but they charge a bit of money, like $20 for 20Gig, for a year. Not really expensive.

Or folks can setup an account with Soundclick, free unlimited storage space but limited to 128Kbps MP3s. Soundclick has been very stable lately but there are people who don't like having to go there.

The other option people have is to have thier own storage space somewhere on the net, like a private server.

I personaly have both, my private server and a Soundclick account. (www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone)

So basicaly, people post a link to some Backing Track (gotta be careful with copyright infringement though) and the gang just upload the BT onto their own PCs and use their favorite recorder to record their performance over the BT and post back the result up on the forum. Everyone listen and comment, or not.

The whole idea is to have fun together musically and maybe learn some stuff in the process from the better players. It is very surprising how different a BT can sound with all those different ideas.
At LPF and TFF, it is very bluesy based (12 bars, I-IV-V progression) but once in a while some other styles pop in, hard rock, country, latin, etc...

If the folks on the forum join in, it can be quite entertaining and educative for all.

·
Administrator
16,152 Posts
Yep! It's what keeps me involved in the LPF. I'm not much of a player but I have a lot of fun with the jams and the guys over there offer a lot of positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
davetcan said:
Yep! It's what keeps me involved in the LPF. I'm not much of a player but I have a lot of fun with the jams and the guys over there offer a lot of positive reinforcement.
That's the ONLY reason I'm there too.
I haven't been really active lately though (new job and all)

And no need to be a PRO player.
Even starters have innovative ideas that everyone can enjoy and profit from.
It's fun to hear a real good player for sure though. ;)
And DaveT, you have nothing to worry about, you're playing is quite pleasant to experience.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There has to be a way of doing that here too. Technically it does not sound hard. Basically you use another site to handle the uploads and downloads. I will talk to the boss about that. :wave:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be real cool to have such a section.
It could be good for the playing of all who'd participate as well as the recording techiques too.

There are plenty of backing tracks available throughout the net (again, the copyrights need to be monitored, or not, depending on the board's administration)
And people can create their own.
I have done a few myself, http://www.soundclick.com/tc1backing

It could be used by someone creating their own songs and wanting new ideas from the folks in here.
There are tons of ways to use a "jamzone" section for all to benefit.

Hope the admins will go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts