The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm the new guy. Name is Dan, I live in a small place called Miramichi New Brunswick. I'm a welder, and airbrusher.

Looking to get a guitar and start learning. Still have no idea on what I want. Can't decide between acoustic or electric..

Anyway that's a bit about me, so I'm off to do some more reading and see where I should start...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my friend loaned me his old acoustic to get me rolling, a Takanuru or something of that sort.

Big action on the strings, I can't hold an E chord long at all... of course I have soft fingers too, gotta build up some calouses.

Any recommendations on beginner low end stuff to start with would be great. I'm thinking a Squire if I go electric, but for acoustic I'm clueless. I had been looking at a Jay Jr from Turser. Played really well, and has built in tuner and pickup. But I hear great things about Godin, and I remember watching them being made on "How it's made" one day on discovery. Looked to be well crafted..

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
You in Chatham or Newcastle?

Go godin (seagull for acoustic) great bang for your buck, a giggable instument for a reasonable price. The squires are nice but the electronics and hardware lag behind the rest of the instument IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm the new guy. Name is Dan, I live in a small place called Miramichi New Brunswick. I'm a welder, and airbrusher.

Looking to get a guitar and start learning. Still have no idea on what I want. Can't decide between acoustic or electric..

Anyway that's a bit about me, so I'm off to do some more reading and see where I should start...
Dude, I was born in Chatham and lived there until I was fifteen (1975).

Best of luck with the guitar!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Chatham, near English Hollow. Funny how random the internet is.. I actually grew up in Hamilton.
I'll look into a Seagull.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
I live in Chatham, near English Hollow. Funny how random the internet is.. I actually grew up in Hamilton.
I'll look into a Seagull.

I spent most of my childhood living on what was then the airforce base.

I started playing guitar right there in Chatham around 32 years ago.

Hammertown eh? Great rock and roll town.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 on the Seagull for acoustic.

Great playability, wonderful sound from a cedar top, etc....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome to the forum, flamethis. My father's side comes from Douglastown/Ferry Road. It's been a while since I've travelled up there. If I was starting from square one these days I'd cycle through a few used guitars, maybe through ads in community papers and off bulletin boards in apartment buildings and laundromats. Seriously! Because you have no preconceptions the whole universe is a possibility.

Don't discount cheap classical guitars, maybe from a student who has moved on or quit playing. We're talking less than $100 here, and they are a lot less painful to learn on, having nylon strings. Plus the wide necks encourage good habits, and the right hand techniques are eventually transferable to bass, which actually is a trade.

The make-or-break decision with very inexpensive used (or new) guitars, besides the obvious action height/playability issue, is "intonability," or the degree to which the guitar is correctly intonated, and can be correctly tuned.

A note (any pitch will do) on any given open string should sound the same as its 12-fret octave (where the two dots are, or, on a classical, where the body joins the neck).

If there is much of a difference that you can hear between open and XII, that guitar will never sound good over a range of chords, although it will probably be okay custom-tuned to one chord.

All that being said, this is the Golden Age of decent quality cheap new guitars.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts