The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone!

My name is Jamie, and I recently got back into playing guitar. I started when I was 15, by taking a semester long course in highschool using a borrowed accoustic. I picked it up fairly quickly, and could read tab, and play some easilly recognizable licks. I purchased a Wasburn electric guitar, and continued to play pretty often until shortly after I turned 16. I got my drivers licence, a car, and sadly got away from playing.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. An old friend reminded me just how much fun we used to have playing. So after 13 years of sayin, ' i gotta start playing again', I finally did.

I took my trusty Washburn in to get set-up, picked up a small practice amp, and a week later, invested in my first own acoustic (a Yamaha FG700MS solid top). I have played every day since. Some days only for a few minutes, other times, Im tinkering for hours.

Im trying to teach myself, and this is an uphill battle. Hard to teach yourself something you truely dont know how to do. but im making progress.

Thats me in a nutshell.

Soo.. Hi :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey, welcome to the boards. Playing is always an uphill battle, I'm with you there!

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey bugs....
welcome to the forums....
plenty of help in the learning deptment here...
try not to consider it an uphill battle.....but more of learning curve...
any time you invest in guitar playing will pay back dividends for sure....

sometimes you just dont see the return as quickly as other times...is all

i'm still learning something new all the time after 35 years of playing....

enjoy the journey

Auger

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Welcome Bugs,...I'm pretty much in the same bag as you are. I quit playing when I was 19, and started up again at 49. I've been playin at least an hour a day for 3 years now. (self-taught).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome aboard. Bought a lot of smokes in Hagersville in days gone by. Nice country. As far as your playin goes, try to get a buddy who can play at least a little better then you and it makes the journey a lot of fun. Stay with it.:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Welcome Bugs,...I'm pretty much in the same bag as you are. I quit playing when I was 19, and started up again at 49. I've been playin at least an hour a day for 3 years now. (self-taught).

Finally - someone who quit for as long as I did before starting again. Though I don't play three hours a day. I barely have that much time left a day after commuting, work and sleep.

Oh, and welcome to the board Bugs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome Bugs
I am just down the road from you outside of Fisherville.
I like what Auger said, it's not an uphill battle, it's a learning curve.
I have been playing on and off(mostly on) since I was 10 and I am 43 now. I get together with a few guys once a week and we just played an hour set at the Fresh Ayr Festival in Ayr Ont. a few weeks ago.
It was the first time I had played out since High School and man was I nervous!!!!
But I got through it ok.
Keep on practicing.Even when it seems like you are not making progress you are !!!!:rockon2:

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the kind words guys.

Ya, Hagersville is about 30 minutes south of Hamilton on #6 highway. If you know hamilton, and port dover, we are exactly in the middle of the 2 of them on 6highway.

Or 15 minutes south of Caledonia (yes, where the native stand off is)

Or if you remember your history, we're the home of the tire fire.

Short Circuit? Whats your real name? I know alot of people in Fisherville, and surrounding area, family, etc, Im Jamie VanDalen off the computer ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts