The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lurked around here for a while reading the posts before joining. You guys all seem pretty friendly. On some of the other forum sites I'd be too afraid to ask a question because I'd have thirty people jumping on me telling me how much of a newbie I am. This place seems a lot more relaxed.

I've been playing around with the guitar for years but I've just recently started getting more serious about it. I have a Samick Malibu, I really like it but I was thinking of doing some upgrades to the electronics (basically ALL the electronics). So I might pick your brains for some ideas later.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hello, sgiven. Welcome aboard! Care to post a pic of your Malibu?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here she is...

I don't know why the pic came out kind of foggy, but hey, this is a guitar site, not a photography site right? I think the lens is dirty from taking it camping.

So yeah, strat type design, not really anything special, but It's a solid guitar and it's good for someone like me who is still basically a beginner.

Like I said, I would like to get some new pickups and improve on it a bit. I think that would help it reach it's potential.

I also have a Digitech RP100 processor and a small cheap practice amp that I never use (I usually just listen with headphones plugged into the pedal).

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
As long as she plays well, that's the ticket!

Someone told me recently that Samick is by far the world's largest guitar maker... produces more units per annually than all of the others combined... and that includes the big guns, too. Hard to believe, that. Even if it's not true, Samick is a huuuuge company and they make all sorts of stuff for the established American companies, including many of their budget and import lines.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Here she is...

I also have a Digitech RP100 processor and a small cheap practice amp that I never use (I usually just listen with headphones plugged into the pedal).
Hey there, & welcome. You're new and I'm going to pick YOUR brain. I too am fairly new to this, and everyone is really nice.... Evn though I'm a girl:D I too have an RP100 and the dang thing just stupifies me. I admit I'm a little intimidated by my electric to begin with, But when I start to monkey with the processor, I just noodle and it drives me nuts cause there's every sound but the one I want. I'm not finding it user friendly.. Have you tried the patches on the website?

Cheers!
SB

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's a surprisingly complicated little device. I haven't mastered it yet myself. I usually just flip through the presets until I find something that's close and then adjust it to where I want it. Reading the instructions is a must. That being said there is a LOT that it can do once you can convince it to cooperate.

I haven't used any of the patches. I think I have an older model or something, there isn't any way to hook it up to a computer that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Digitech

Check this out, it does not require a computer to hook to, it's just lists upon lists of what settings to use. Kinda like tab it's hit and miss..

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/

Glad to know it's not just me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, it's a surprisingly complicated little device. I haven't mastered it yet myself.
Sgiven & Starbuck50 - I have a POD and I found it a little complicated too, but then discovered Korg Ampworks - little boxes with a surprising array of sounds and effects. The best thing is they're quite cheap second hand. I have one for guitar and one for bass - both are terrific for dialing in a tone quickly and easily. I use them for recording and they work really well, so I thought they were worth suggesting.
Also... on the topic of Samick - they build vast numbers of guitars for other companies too - like Epiphone. I have one of their basses and it's extremely well-made.

dg

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sgiven. I found that when
you browse around here a bit, you tend to find alot of
useful info without asking for it. Good bunch of musicians
here.

Also... on the topic of Samick - they build vast numbers of guitars for other companies too - like Epiphone. I have one of their basses and it's extremely well-made.
I also have a Samick made Epi (Joe Pass). Your right on
about the quality. Good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Starbuck50 - I checked out the link there, seems pretty good. I haven’t had a chance to try any of them out yet but I bookmarked it and I’ll probably go back when I have some time.

Dgrose - I read a little about the Korg. It seems pretty slick. I’ll keep an eye out for one in my travels and maybe I’ll find a good deal.

Everyone else – Thanks for the warm welcome. I have a lot more questions than answers myself, but I think that even beginners sometimes have a trick or two up their sleeves.

-Shane

1 - 13 of 13 Posts