The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some cool feeedback

i wanted to try prs forums or gibson forums but this is the only real place i can see that will not be biased

i know that guitars are universal..everyone has their own tastes so this may be a dumb question but ill ask anyway

if you all had a choice..between a 2010 prs mccarty 58 signed by paul reed smith AND ALMOST MINT..ot a 1978 gibson les pau; custom black beauty..worn on both sides of the neck but only paint and a fist sized chunk of paint missing from the back but everything else was fine which would you choose

thanks

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I have never owned either but if my hands were smaller, I'd take the PRS in a heartbeat. What was the name of the other guitar you mentioned?:)

·
Administrator
16,454 Posts
I have never owned either but if my hands were smaller, I'd take the PRS in a heartbeat.
As you've never owned one I'll give you a pass. I have big hands and the PRS Wide/Fat is likely the most comfortable neck I've played. I'm not at all biased as I've owned a few of both. I'd go for the McCarty if i wanted the better guitar, the Les Paul if I was worried about resale value. Really comes down to what the purchase price is.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello

I'd go for the McCarty in a heartbeat... the 57/08s are the best pickups PRS ever made, and PRS build quality is second to none...

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
i'd go for the prs because the other one is old as hell
B#(*
Hell or Hades is the Bible word for the common grave of mankind and since we've been dying for thousands of years, that's a pretty old guitar!:D

·
Registered
18,563 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet joheesus ceerist bros
that makes id say 20 million to none lol
i love all your answers..i really doyes indeed everyone on here..everyone i spoken too..in real time..all say the same thing..either too old and gave me some info about how none to great the customs were or les pauls were back in the 70s..with me ive always wanted a vintage..anything..so of course heyyy come on a vintage les paul custom? please...but everyone one i asked? was none for the les paul..so yes its done the les paul is gone away..and yes indeed the 5708s were indeed the best prs ever made having had 7 myself..only 1 had 5708s though..thanks mi hombreys...ill post pictures the momentitothats shes in my hands

peace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i also need to ask another

now that i have a new amp cable i tried out the mccarty..the volume will not reduce..easily fized im sure but..i need to know..could that have been a sign that the owner kept the engraved pup covers on but changed the pick ups?

·
Administrator
16,454 Posts
i also need to ask another

now that i have a new amp cable i tried out the mccarty..the volume will not reduce..easily fized im sure but..i need to know..could that have been a sign that the owner kept the engraved pup covers on but changed the pick ups?
What ???

You'll need to be a little more specific.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok..i have a mccarty 58 now
and although i did not really know the guy that i traded my guitar with..i trusted him..i bought a new amp chord last night and plugged her in this morning..my mccarty 58..shes very loud but..the volume will not reduce..she is stuck on high..and im thinking that could this have been a sign that the owner rewired the volume after changing the 5708s but kept only the pick up covers on

thanks davetcan..because a mccarty 58 with no 58 is simply not a mccarty 58

·
Registered
18,563 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
can you post a pic of the inside of the wiring cavity?

would be easier for ppl here to see what's going on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well fellas..i now have a 2010 prs custom 24 10 top quilted..with all the papers and case hang card etc..the mccarty 58 as it turned out

when my friend opned her up to redo the volume pot he remarked right away that there was something wong..this should not be..he said
when he noticed the works inside her belly

when he checked schematics he knew that he was right
as it turns out the mccarty's push pull was removed and even the 5708s were moded in such a way that they could not be splitable even

the original owner removed the essentially the 58 from this 58..and this was confirmed by the tutorial from prs on youtube about the 58..so
the i re traded with the same guy,(not original owner but the guy i got her from,,for a flawless prs custom 24 10 top with all case candy..

i need to ask

would 2800 canadian be a great price f0r her?..usd would be about 2400

thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts