The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just figured I'd post a thread about these, since I'm loving mine.

I realize it's for sale, but I can kinda get a similar vibe from my Morris amp and I only got it, because I thought I could move it quicker than my tele. I can tell you this: if I find a nice overdrive that will pair well, I'm going to keep it.

I had the opportunity to play a lot of vintage fender all in one shot at Capsule music one day. I walked away with a vintage fender concert due to the vibrato. I wasn't overly happy with any of the fenders, but I'm just not a fender guy.

This amp is ridiculously fun and easy to play. I'm wondering if there are any boutique amps that do the fender thing better than fender? The amps are really outside my knowledge base.

One thing I can say just about any amp and this one's included is that I don't like the way it breaks up. Only amp I ever liked the break up on was my Lazy J20.

I was very happy with the tone in this phone recording. Soft and very dynamic. Here you can really see I have no clue about theory. I wish I did - it would have been much more fun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Great tone. Gorgeous reverb.
When I read your comment about not knowing theory I was wondering what you were talking about. Figured it was just a matter of insecurity. Which we all struggle with as musicians. I listened to the clip and I could here hesitation. The difference between a good performance and a great one is confidence. You didn’t make any bad note choices but if you played them confidently it would have brought the performance up a notch.
Hope I’m not overstepping. It was a great tone and showed off the amps capabilities wonderfully.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great tone. Gorgeous reverb.
When I read your comment about not knowing theory I was wondering what you were talking about. Figured it was just a matter of insecurity. Which we all struggle with as musicians. I listened to the clip and I could here hesitation. The difference between a good performance and a great one is confidence. You didn’t make any bad note choices but if you played them confidently it would have brought the performance up a notch.
Hope I’m not overstepping. It was a great tone and showed off the amps capabilities wonderfully.
You nailed it. I have NO idea where I'm going and need to memorize patterns on the board. The longer I go without hitting a wrong note, the more nervous I get. I have terrible memory, so I start to second guess where I just practiced, haha. One day I'll be able to sit down with it and figure it out.

Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You nailed it. I have NO idea where I'm going and need to memorize patterns on the board. The longer I go without hitting a wrong note, the more nervous I get. I have terrible memory, so I start to second guess where I just practiced, haha. One day I'll be able to sit down with it and figure it out.

Thanks for the comment.
Don't worry too much about avoiding wrong notes. Worry more about how to work with them when they happen.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I always play those notes a second time to show that they're intentional. :D
Also most all “supposedly” wrong notes are a tone or semi-tone away from a more harmonious note. That’s the best way to look at it.

And listening to “out-there” Guitarist will increase your confidence and help you to incorporate those notes. Heck I recall repeating variations of a same phrase with a “clam” note just to justify the first instance it was played.

I’m my mind I’m still on the cover of Roling Stone magazine every year or so anyway. lol

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
One thing I can say just about any amp and this one's included is that I don't like the way it breaks up. Only amp I ever liked the break up on was my Lazy J20.
IMO, that's the difference between 'tweed' distortion, with very few pre-amp gain stages vs BF distortion with more gain stages adding to the distortion. With the BF, Leo and company worked very hard to make an amp that wouldn't distort as much as the predecessors, I guess by using more gain stages, each adding just a little gain along the way. It is definitely a different sounding distortion. Perhaps an acquired taste? I know there's a strong preference in general for the tweed/Marshall type of OD.

Nice playing and tone, BTW.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I really needed to cull the amp herd & made the decision to go fully vintage (my wife actually encouraged me to take this approach). Please bring this with you the next time you’re in my ‘hood & we’ll have some fun doing the Pepsi challenge (hopefully Glen will get the trem working on the ‘59 in time).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts