The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing lots over the last few months in a garage type band and have noticed some weakness in my gear.

1, Attack volume..
Found with my amp at a good volume I had to work the strings hard to get the sound I want, when it went to lower volume section of the song I got lost..
Picked up a cheap Behringer volume pedal that increases my volume and gain, now I need a very light touch for everything and if I work the strings i get a 15-20 db boost..COOL!

2, Yorkville 100-15 is a bit weak and looses its tone at 7 on the volume knob..No easy fix for that.

So thinking of a head and cab..say 350 Watts and a 2-10 tuned down to handle a "B" or even a bit lower.

What do you recomend without getting crazy on the price?
Bev

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you like the Yorkie stuff and want a 2x10, their 2x10 cab can handle lots and lots of low end. Not very light though. That on top of a 1x15 or 2x12 or another 2x10 would give you all you'd need I would imagine.

A used GK800RB would be a great head. Should be around $400 or so used. 300 very loud watts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nemesis NA320 and NSP210 cab. Sounds great and it's light too.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..

Checked out the Peavey Tour series 450 and 700 watt amp and a Genz or was it a Kruger 2-12 extended low freq cab.
The cab is tuned down to 20hz not that you can hear it but it sounds like a tight set of 10's with a ton of bottom.

The 450 was about $500 and the 700 was about $600, the cab was about $800..good but a bit out there.

Anyone try any of the above?
Bev

·
Registered
272 Posts
might want to consider an ashdown abm300... i think the prices have come down quite a bit on these.... very loud....
I haven't tried one, but Capsule has the Ashdown Mag300 head for $375 - that's insanely cheap for a new 300 watt head. Pair it up with the Peavey 1820 bass cab that's at Paul's Boutique and you'd have a pretty powerful rig for $700!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried out a Ampeg tube amp one of the guys was using the other day and that thing was outstanding!! It was a new SVT re issue, not sure of model or watts..

Think I will head down to check out that Ashdown amp this weekend, the reviews are good.
The cab will take a bit to figure out, kinda like the 12's and am thinking of building my own cab. Did some home work on it and there are lots of good designs out there.. May cheat a bit and get a car audio shop to build me the box, they will do a 2-12 for under $100 with tweeter..no speakers just holes...sounds kinda fun..
Bev

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Oldie but Goodie

Seems to me I saw a Traynor Monoblock on the Encore Music site yesterday for a couple hundred dollars; rock solid and deep!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts