The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Vintage Sunn Scepter, vintage modded Hiwatt DR (not sure of model - 100W though). That is my Marshall JCM800 412 with G12-65's (not the G12T-75's which other JCM800 cabs came with).

I briefly tried out the Sunn before posting - it sounds big, and that was on 1. I'm really excited to hear these with the rest of the gear at the studio. My JCM800 2203 and Orange 412 are awaiting me there.

It's gonna be an interesting week!

... I meant to make a thread on here asking if anyone had anything they'd lend out, and I dropped the ball on that. If anyone is between here and Brampton and willing to miss their amp from Sunday AM to next weekend, PM me haha.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once you power up that Hiwatt, I don't think you'll want to use anything else.
I don't feel like finding a Hiwatt, finding the money for it, then buying the road case, and then selling my 2203. I'm not terribly worried haha.

Will I be tracking one down later? Probably. Hell 5 minutes with that Scepter and I want one for myself.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hope that studio has proper facilities to unleash those beasts. This is the first time in a while I've heard of someone taking howitzers like that into a studio session.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope that studio has proper facilities to unleash those beasts. This is the first time in a while I've heard of someone taking howitzers like that into a studio session.

Have fun!
Fortunately it's where most of the songs have been tracked, so they're no stranger to cranked amps :D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, if that's the case, maybe you should round up an Ampeg VT-40, a Marshall Major and Fender SuperTwin also and blow the walls down on that studio with that six-pack of behemoths. Woo-hoo - just like the old days!

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if that's the case, maybe you should round up an Ampeg VT-40, a Marshall Major and Fender SuperTwin also and blow the walls down on that studio with that six-pack of behemoths. Whew-hoo - just like the old days!
Paging: anyone with a VT-40!

My bandmate's JCM800 is 6550 loaded and might as well be a Major (I speculate that it's close to 200W given the volume differences we run at). We have our producer's vintage Twin for the clean stuff as well.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I wasn't actually serious, but I can tell YOU guys are (chuckle)...

Take some protection (and I don't mean condoms!).

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Man, if I were anywhere near I'd be honored to bring a pile of amps. Have fun.

Hiwatt is probably a DR103, wonder what the mod is. Yeah, it will sound really glorious up loud.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, if I were anywhere near I'd be honored to bring a pile of amps. Have fun.

Hiwatt is probably a DR103, wonder what the mod is. Yeah, it will sound really glorious up loud.
I'll have to check, it should say on the back.

Too bad that C&C video is overdubbed lol

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
I'd love to hear what you think of the hiwatt, since you're a marshall man.

I'm guessing we'll be able to buy some discs soon and hear it there

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd love to hear what you think of the hiwatt, since you're a marshall man.

I'm guessing we'll be able to buy some discs soon and hear it there
I liked the only one I tried, but it was a combo in a music store. This will be different haha.

My friend came by with my new pedalboard cables, and we tried out my singlecut with the Sunn.

We put my modded tubescreamer out front and... damn. That sounds real good. Then I put it in "hot" mode and he played some Mastadon riffs - sounded *really* good. If I have $ and a vintage Sunn head comes up (or a new one if they're reliable) I'm on it haha.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Sunn was bought by Fender which only lasted a few years before they discontinued the name in 2002 because they weren't really selling. Original Sunn's are american made, but Fender outsourced their construction and mostly made all new amps under the Sunn name. They did a reissue Model T head that really doesn't sound like the original or even share a very similar circuit, but does sound decent in it's own right. So if you decided to get a 'new' Sunn it would still be not very new, and basically is a Fender. That being said a few bass heads that Fender created under the Sunn brand are pretty fantastic. I have a Fender Bassman 300 Pro that originally came out as the Sunn 300T, literally the only difference is the badge swap. It is whatever you want it to be for bass; the cleanest or the meanest! It's all tube though, so it's about 100lbs (that's not a joke either). the Sunn 1200S made by Fender is SS powered and is quite sought after for the relentlessness grit it can contain. If you're into bass gear I would suggest keeping in mind the two heads aforementioned, but if you're about guitar heads only, and you're after Sunn, go vintage and don't look back. Even give their vintage SS heads a chance. Their known for best emulating tube richness (especially the beta series) and are unapologetic in the decibels they reach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts