The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I was given a Hayashi acoustic guitar through "Guitars for Vets" and I'd love some information on it. I'm told it's about 30 years old, and the serial number inside the sound hole is 27126M36. There is mother of pearl inlayed in the rosette, and around the edge of the top. The only writing in the inside is "made by Hayashi". Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome Tony, and thank You for your service! I have no personal info, but I did find some info online.

Link 1

Link 2

My quick response would be: golden era mij (made in Japan) guitar, robust tip of the hat to Martin dreadnoughts. Well worth playing, looking after, and possibly a real gem. Quality like Tama/Aria (good thing) from the good old days. I've only seen one lately, at $500, but too far for me to travel. Let us know what you think of it once you've played it for a spell. Thanks for taking the time to post pic's.

Screenie from another forum.

Yours looks great -- with (I think) spruce top & rosewood back and sides. If it's sat fallow for a time. it can take a bit to open up. Time and (maybe?) new strings. Youtube has some great lessons, and popular songs 'with tab'. Congrat's & enjoy!

Edit: Good on L&M for the strings, and supporting the 'Guitars for Vets' program.

Reactions: Tony Friesen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Tony, and thank You for your service! I have no personal info, but I did find some info online.

Link 1

Link 2

My quick response would be: golden era mij (made in Japan) guitar, robust tip of the hat to Martin dreadnoughts. Well worth playing, looking after, and possibly a real gem. Quality like Tama/Aria (good thing) from the good old days. I've only seen one lately, at $500, but too far for me to travel. Let us know what you think of it once you've played it for a spell. Thanks for taking the time to post pic's.

Screenie from another forum.

Yours looks great -- with (I think) spruce top & rosewood back and sides. If it's sat fallow for a time. it can take a bit to open up. Time and (maybe?) new strings. Youtube has some great lessons, and popular songs 'with tab'. Congrat's & enjoy!
Thanks for the info! I can't wait to learn to play this beauty. Long and McQuade had put new strings on it before it was given to me.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
That looks like a decent Martin D41 copy. By the level of bling, the inlay on the headstock and the bound fingerboard, I wouldn't think that was one of their cheaper offerings at the time. Spruce over rosewood, I would guess. The Japanese generally made very good copies of high-end US guitars at the time - to the point where they were often litigated out of business.

I own a Yamaki D35 copy from the same era - cedar over rosewood with a 3 piece rw/maple/rw back. It is a fabulous guitar, hitting way over it's price range. Sadly, though, they never seem to increase much in value like the 70's Japanese electrics have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I was given a Hayashi acoustic guitar through "Guitars for Vets" and I'd love some information on it. I'm told it's about 30 years old, and the serial number inside the sound hole is 27126M36. There is mother of pearl inlayed in the rosette, and around the edge of the top. The only writing in the inside is "made by Hayashi". Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Hayashi. Bought it in a pawn shop approx. 15yrs ago. It looks just like the one shown here, except mine has a three-piece back. Mine was been played a lot ( has a two inch round belt buckle scar on the back.) It played as well as any Martin D-28 I ever played, although it has in the past couple of years developed a slight intermediate buzz. It has a very fine hairline crack across the row of peg holes. I think is I glue press the crack the buzz will go away, hope so anyway. Thi is a fine-sounding guitar. I believe the three-piece back is Brazillian Rosewood. It certain looks and sounds like it. I would buy another one if I ever run across one. Any for sale?

·
Registered
626 Posts
nice git and thanks for your service , L&M are great retailers for a lot of reasons , I grabbed a Hayashi a year or so ago, has the neck inlay of style 42 ( posted on this site ) nice git, check inside yours and it might say Mountain Folk, several names were used on these guitars--happy learning, also- a good way to learn is to just keep bangin on it day after day after day and then some more...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Hayashi acoustic e guitars, one is a clone of a Martin D35 but it is even better than the brand versions that I have seen. In terms of inlays and the finish around the sound hole and the body it is deluxe, very well built. I put a good pick up in it.
The second is a clone of a Gibson Country Western, also a great instrument. Not a nicely finished as the Martin clone but the sound and play-ability is excellent.
Don't know who made these of if they were just rejects from the main company that were purchased and rebranded, either way, if you see any acoustic guitar branded Hayashi, take close look...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts