The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying a Historic from the classified section of The Gear Page. There are a couple I am looking at and I know the sellers from another forum. The one to whom I have spoken would prefer a US sale but I am thinking of using one of those services that gives you a US shipping address, and then brings the item across the border for you.

But before I do that, has anyone done this recently and has that CITES thing created any issues?

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
You'd be safer to have it shipped to Buffalo and go pick it up. No issues if you bring something across the border with you. Declare it and pay the tax. Anything coming through the mail is supposed to have a cites Certificate. So if you use a forwarder, they still needs Cites paperwork.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You'd be safer to have it shipped to Buffalo and go pick it up. No issues if you bring something across the border with you. Declare it and pay the tax. Anything coming through the mail is supposed to have a cites Certificate. So if you use a forwarder, they still needs Cites paperwork.
+1. EXACTLY what Knight-yyj said. It’s a pricey item, don’t dick around.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The company I was thinking of using, which seems to have some fans here, is located in Prescott Ontario so not exactly an easy day trip across the border from my location.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,116 Posts
@Alex seemed to have some insight here.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A solution has popped up. A friend is going to visit family in Ohio in October. He said I could have it shipped there and he would bring it back across for me. And if he claims it is his when he crosses the border, there wouldn't be any taxes or duty on it either!

I am deciding between a Lee Roy Parnell Gold Top for $2899US and an R9 for $3200US (flamey, which I don't like, but there is decent grain showing through). The necks are of almost equal size, so it will come down to the shoulders. If the Parnell doesn't have overly big shoulders I will snag it. If not, then on to the R9.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I saw GTA for your location, that's why I suggested going across the border yourself. The place I used to go to was 5 minutes across the border and 5 minutes back. I'd cross the Lewiston bridge to go there. Grab my "mail", pay the fee , then go to Autozone for some auto supplies and come back on the rainbow bridge. Total time in USA about 30 minutes. Especially if you go on a weekday early in the morning.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The max personal exemption after 7 days is $800. The R9 at 3200 USD = about $4320 CAD. $4320-$800= $3520.
There won’t be any duty but your friend will be on the hook for the tax. I believe the HST for you guys is 13% so you’ll want to front your friend about $457.60.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
If his buddy lives in the USA and is coming to visit he is allowed to bring "his" guitar with him. Problem solved.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The max personal exemption after 7 days is $800. The R9 at 3200 USD = about $4320 CAD. $4320-$800= $3520.
There won’t be any duty but your friend will be on the hook for the tax. I believe the HST for you guys is 13% so you’ll want to front your friend about $457.60.

But if he said it was his and he took it with him when he went down there, he wouldn't be subject to tax. It is a used guitar so won't look brand new. So far as I know he is driving, so he can just throw it in his trunk and claim it is his.

·
Premium Member
16,832 Posts
Thats why we dont charge hst on our kijiji and forum deals lol

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Do what you want. Your plan has several holes and you just described several offences, all of which are enough to get your friend charged, fired, and his pension shot to hell. Is all that really worth $457?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Problem one, the Yanks are sketchy about Canucks selling gear in the US. They will ask him if he’s bringing any expensive items and if so why. He’ll say no. On the way back he’ll tell Canada Customs he brought a $4500 guitar with him from home. CBSA will query his US declaration and see no mention of it. Then your buddy is in a tough place. But you're probably right. Nothing will happen. Enjoy your new guitar.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Actually bringing something across the border for someone else is actually illegal if you do not declare it especially because of the price of the item Tech has a good pulse on the situation and I doubt any of my friend's ( police officers ) would risk their position as a officer of the law for any friend especially when they see that when he went down the was no declaration of an expensive guitar going down with him ( oh and yes they see each others declaration made at each border crossing ) and why you would put his job on the line and trust me it would be for a lousy $500.00 doesn't speak well of your friendship does it.
While you can tell me to mind my own business why not just go and pick it up yourself or do the right thing and pay your fair share like others do, just saying.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem one, the Yanks are sketchy about Canucks selling gear in the US. They will ask him if he’s bringing any expensive items and if so why.

Not once have I ever been asked that going over the border. Not once.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts