The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing it more and more these days. And other people I've talked to admitted to doing it too. I don't care what kind of music another person likes or finds irritating, but I find it troubling that restaurants believe that their clients are appreciative when they are inflicted with unwanted or irritating music. And volume levels are also an issue. I like to enjoy conversation when I dine out. It seems that its harder than ever to do these days!

·
Premium Member
17,866 Posts
And volume levels are also an issue. I like to enjoy conversation when I dine out. It seems that its harder than ever to do these days!
I totally agree! The volume levels of the music are often much too high and the people try to talk over those volumes. Add a few reflective surfaces the whole thing just feels like it is constantly escalating.

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
Agree. Same for music on the job. Or store.

Music is for appreciating, not ignoring.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Usually we will ask they turn it down, or seat us away from the speakers. If that doesn't happen then we'll leave.
It's only happened once.
A good option, but I'm finding that many of the places won't or can't adjust their music. Not fine dining for sure, but a month ago my wife and I went to grab a burger at A&W for lunch (on a week day) and the youngest client in the place was in his 60s. The most repetitive hip hop was being played and I asked all 15 customers if they liked the music and I got a resounding NO from all of them. I went up to the counter and told the server about my little survey and asked if she could turn the music down and she said. "We can't. The music and volume level are not controlled by us. It's programmed in." No more A&W for us.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I've definitely had to walk out a few times in the past. But at the places I eat, they tend to play music I like at reasonable volumes and would be open to requests to change what's on if their customers objected. I don't eat out at chains, large restaurants generally or during high volume hours; it's about the company, the experience, atmosphere, food safety and the quality of the meal for me. Spending any kind of money treating myself or someone else to a meal does not involve seeking out even more of life's grating stressors. Even if it's something fast like a great donair shop that blasts EDM, I'll just find another good donair place and likely not go back to the obnoxious one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not a restaurant but I bring my own music to the gym to workout. It doesn’t need to be hard and fast, just the music I like to listen to. But no Jackson Browne. I got so tired of listening to voices autotuned, vocodered and just the general bullshit of Arianna fucking Grande and her ilk absolutely everywhere.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
No, but I worked at a place that played satellite radio, and the station that was on played the same songs over and over....and over and over.....and over and over.

After a while it really got to me. I never thought that could happen, but after a while it really started to drive me mental.

·
Registered
649 Posts
When I was younger, we'd (often, not always) meet up for breakfast Sunday morning with my parents friends. This one restaurant had Kenny G on a loop, every week it seemed. My dad noticed it and commented to a server, she said the owner loved it! Next time we were there it was on, my dad just said, "not this again". Next time, my dad sent me in to see if that "bloody music was playing" first. It was, so we went somewhere else. Tried that one more time and just picked a new diner. Mum thought it was embarrassing, I thought it was hilarious! Stupid Kenny G!!

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
In the cavernous concrete block, steel, and glass rooms that pass for Boston Pizza restaurants and its ilk, music sounds no better than in high school gyms. Indistinct and difficult to speak over, especially for those with hearing impairment.

Just say no.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You couldn't be further from the truth. More like boredom! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
I dont usually go to places that play loud music while you eat. Seems kind of strip clubesque. Maybe we need tables with juke boxes again. Restaurants arent the only place with loud music, how about office workers........

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Could you give a definition of restaurant ?
Ah ! Been so long I went to... Was so hungry...
Music ? I don't remember...

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
I almost never go to restaurants. Can’t stand the places never mind the music and I ain’t tipping some jack stand $30 to carry crap food from the kitchen to my table. Another thing too is that most places in Toronto are full of roaches and bed bugs so who needs that trash - they ain’t offering anything I wish to have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts