The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
not me personally, but i have alot of close friends and family who have been ate up by it. some of them are still alive. there are 2 reasons why i can't be an alcoholic. neither one is a good reason, but somehow they work for me. 1) i hate the taste of nearly all of those beverages and always have. 2) i hate being hungover. if they invented some that you could get drunk on that tasted good (to me) and didn't make me violently ill for days, i would be the worst drunk ever. it might sound stupid, but i feel like i caught a lucky break.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Yes.

Quit on my own about 16 years ago but I've since used the confidential counselling support of a friend who's been an AA and NA member for years.
I loved to drink alone.

Will add more later.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to cut down and have a few. I drink too much, but I don't want to quit. Not sure if its possible.
I'm getting tired of the rough mornings.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to cut down and have a few. I drink too much, but I don't want to quit. Not sure if its possible.
I'm getting tired of the rough mornings.
Waylon Jennings once went to rehab to go back to recreational cocaine use.

In all seriousness, I come and go from your situation. Usually for me, I quit all together for a few weeks when I get out of hand. Then, I go back to occasional drinking with a different liquor. I rotate between regular consumption of bourbon, dark rum, and beer, and used to be a rye drinker.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I used to drink and sometimes very foolishly. I just decided I needed to stop this nonsense. Hangovers just get worse the older one gets. The only thing I liked was German beer and Baileys Irish creme.

I am on medication that requires that I don’t drink at all so I just decided to quit 8 years ago. I am so glad I did.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I lived with a girl for a couple of years (more than a decade ago) that was a pretty regular drinker - sometimes a hard drinker but certainly a daily drinker. I got sick of watching it (and paying for it) so I decided "if you can't beat them, join them".

When we separated, I kept drinking just about daily - which surprised me. I thought I was drinking in sympathy but I was apparently enjoying it. It took another year to sort myself out and get back to how I was before. I guess that was the first time I realized I was only a stone's throw away from alcoholism. It was a sobering (pun intended) discovery.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am quite sure i never had an alcohol problem. I find no pleasure to drink alcohol when I cannot taste it anymore.
I do enjoy drinking and tasting diverse type of alcohol : many beer brands, some scotch/bourbon, some liquors, but mostly wines. When I drink alcohol, I take it straight, no ice: Taste, taste, taste !
I can count on one (Ok more probably two !) hands, the times I got drunk... and each time got sick ! I do not need alcohol to be a funny guy... but when drunk, I could make stupid jokes !
The last time was some twenty years ago and I became unble to face the bottle of that alcohol ever since !
I hate hangovers and more than that, short night sleep (snoring said the wife !) with following morning headache.
I would share a bottle (or two or three !) of wine at dinner with some friends or relatives once in a while, otherwise I do enjoy ONE apero before dinner some five times a week. If I allow me to drink more these days, my stomach will soon reminds me I am making mistake... Finally, I am not a 19th hole addict...

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
I was a binge drinker.

I wouldn't drink every day, but when I did it was to excess.
I haven't drank alcohol since the summer of '99.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,110 Posts
Depends on your definition of alcoholic I suppose. I drink just about every day when I'm home, anywhere from 2-6 drinks depending if it's a weekday or weekend. I dont suffer from hang overs or pissing on the toilet seat. It's just my way of removing some tension. It has over the years caught up to my waistline. I plan on having a toke in the evenings starting next week and as long as munchies dont become a side effect for me I'll hopefully drop a few pounds.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I haven’t struggled personally but I have struggled with people that were close to me that were alcoholics. Many events from my childhood with an alcoholic parent still affect me to this day.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I discovered hard liquor at 14 and decided I hated all alcohol. I discovered beer at 16 and thought it was heaven. By 18 I was drinking pretty regularly, by 19 getting blotto a couple of times a week, by 23 I thought about getting blotto when I wasn't actually blotto, which was only about half the time. When I wasn't drunk I was still feeling the hangover.

Met my future bride at 24 and immediately cleaned up my act significantly but could still party like a maniac and get too drunk to manage myself well. Started drinking some wine and some Bailey's. I kept a lid on my drinking for ten years or so, getting smashed maybe once a week, but drinking almost daily. At 40 I found myself unemployed and way more susceptible to boozing, started going out to the local after the household was asleep, or drinking alone in the dark at home. Eventually my digestive system said WHAT THE FUCK, MAN? I cut back again but my gut still complained. Red meat and cheese were more the problem but the vast amounts of beer didn't help either. I got in an awful argument with a good friend at a Legion function (funny thing was, in the end, I was proved right and my friend was out to lunch) and made a bit of a scene. The hangovers had been getting steadily worse, even with very little consumed. Work suffered. Bands suffered. Family suffered. On November 12 2002, I quit, cold turkey.

I don't know if I'm an alcoholic, but I suspect I'm at least borderline. I can still take a sip of communion wine (it's diluted anyway) without turning into a raging drunkard, but I wouldn't risk anything else. I like the near beers like Krombachers or Heineken 0.0...it might lead me to real beer but so far it hasn't.

The psychology of my boozing occupies too much of my thought. I did some pretty stupid things when I drank, things I regret.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
My "struggle" with alcohol is getting past the very top of the label on a bottle of beer. If it is a stinking hot day, the beer is really cold, my mouth is really dry, and there is nothing else to drink, I might get a little past the top of the label. But for whatever reasons, I have never really liked the taste of alcohol in any form: beer, wine, hard liquor, you name it. Lord knows I tried when I was younger, but it just never took. I don't regret it, but it puts other folks on the spot when they offer up stuff just to be sociable and I have to decline. We were offered whisky so many times when we visited Scotland last year, and it was "No thanks" again and again, befuddling people (I hope not insulting them). In the grander scheme, I suppose there are worse social graces to lack.

Our household was not a drinking household. My dad would send me to the depanneur for a 6-pack on Grey Cup day, and 4 or 5 of "the original 6" would still be in the fridge come Stanley Cup finals.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m in the habitual (used to be three or four times but one or two times a week for the last year or so) binge drinker group. That’s just how I was socialized into drinking. My buddies and I never drank (hard) for less than 10 hrs.

I come from a long line of alchoholics and the only reason I never crossed into that group is probably because I typically only drink beer (maybe some shots here and there) and prefer the herb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts