The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I bought a really cool little 70's Musicmaster in Olympic white. I got it, changed the strings, set it up, and put it in the case and put it away.

I haven't looked at it in probably close to a year. Its kind of like having a NGD whenever I want.
I know its a weird thing to do, but I did it once before and its kind of cool.

When I really get a hankering for something new, I'll pull it out.

Anyone else have a guitar they know about but have not looked at in a year or so???
Or am I a lot weirder than I would appear to be.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Not gonna lie, that is kinda weird. I've never intentionally stashed a guitar but, truth be told (I'm embarrassed to say), I have FOUND a guitar at home on more than 1 occasion that I had completely forgotten about. Like vintage LP's and such. That's kinda scary and, come to think of it, maybe I'm the really weird one here...

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
Never done that--
When i first read the title I read "smashed" instead of "stashed"

then when I modded my LP Copy that was kind of like a NGD--as I didn't play it much before--and it played so much better & sounded so much better afterwards.
It was like a NGD

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I haven't intentionally stashed a guitar but I have gone on buying sprees to the point where some guitars get quickly lost in the shuffle for a while. I kind of have the same experience as the OP when I get back around to playing one of these! Doesn't reduce the GAS though!

Reactions: Roryfan

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I haven't intentionally stashed a guitar but I have gone on buying sprees to the point where some guitars get quickly lost in the shuffle for a while. I kind of have the same experience as the OP when I get back around to playing one of these! Doesn't reduce the GAS though!
You may be able to reduce the Acquisition part of GAS--but the Syndrome lives on.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Every time I play my first guitar, it's kind of an NGD with some "hey stranger, long time no see" involved.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Not gonna lie, that is kinda weird. I've never intentionally stashed a guitar but, truth be told (I'm embarrassed to say), I have FOUND a guitar at home on more than 1 occasion that I had completely forgotten about. Like vintage LP's and such. That's kinda scary and, come to think of it, maybe I'm the really weird one here...
You're not the only one, Steve...this exact situation has happened to me a few times (and I would bet that some forum members, who have done multiple deals with me, are NOT surprised about this...).

John
thegrumpyoldman

Reactions: StevieMac

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I was hoping someone else here had the same experience so I wouldn't feel quite so freakish. I'm not the least bit surprised it was you John...ha ha!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have a Custom Shop Korina Explorer that I'd been bugging my friend to sell me for a long time. He wanted to put in a pool for his kids & finally acquiesced.

Dream guitar in my possession, YESSS!!!!

But....it didn't sit properly on the rack so it stayed in the case most of the time.

Eventually it bothered me to have such an expensive guitar gathering dust, so I planned to sell it. Took it out of the case, oiled the board & put fresh strings on, still intending to sell it. Had to plug it into an amp, just to make sure everything worked before I listed it.....

KERRRRANGGGG

No longer selling, VERY happy new guitar day to me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sometimes hide new guitars from my wife for a while. I used to quietly try to integrate them in, and that would be the only time she would acknowledge that I have guitars at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
In 1952 I remember my dad bought this Telecaster then the same day shoved it under the bed and left it there. I was thinking about going over and pulling it out and tuning it up. I wish.:(

·
Registered
724 Posts
I haven't stashed anything. However, I have researched/read threads about things I already have, in order to re-spark that new-instrument/amp/pedal feeling.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I don't think that would prevent GAS for me.
I do have some guitars that I occasionally put back into rotation though.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I keep my stuff in the case pretty much all the time now

which means it's more work to dig through the closet/wherever, to pull something out...so some stuff gets used frequently, some not

the not-frequent is always fun to pull out; I guess it satisfies that GAS/NGD part of the human brain?

" damn, I forgot I even owned this! "

:D

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
It's never happened with a guitar but recently I realized I'd lost a power amp. A friend gave me another amp while he was moving and that got me thinking - I should store it with my old BGW 750. I looked high and low for that amp, which is about 6 RU and 60 lbs, not something you put up high on a shelf or shove under a couch. Still haven't found it, but I have at least 3 or 4 other power amps that only get taken out occassionally so I'm not really missing it. It does make me wonder though, did I use it a year ago and leave it behind, did someone borrow it and not return it, has this ever happened to a guitar or some pedals?

Of all the things I've lost, my memory is the thing I miss the most.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Nope, never.

Once in a while I store a few instruments because they're not getting use, but I always remember them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts